Puffin'

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Probably not what you expected based on the title... :D

I had my daughter home on my own this afternoon, and with the outside light getting stronger and staying later, I pulled out the camera during snack time. She has two of her favorite things -- her puffs and her giraffe, Sophie.

New camera for me too...D600. I have a lot to learn. It's a big step up from the SL1, and I've been heading to the manual almost every time I pull it out. I'm hoping as I use it more, it'll become more intuitive. I also know I need to invest in a prime lens -- I initially thought I was going to want a 50mm, but I'm thinking more the 85mm now.

20160308-DSC_1561 by jwa04, on Flickr

She's adorable! Love this photo. Did you want critique? 85 is nice but it would limit you indoors. I think a 50 is a great choice. I prefer wider angles (35) with the little ones.

Awe, precious...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

She's adorable! Love this photo. Did you want critique? 85 is nice but it would limit you indoors. I think a 50 is a great choice. I prefer wider angles (35) with the little ones.

Thanks! I will always take feedback on the photos.

I only have money for one lens -- the 50 is certainly more affordable. I'm just worried that I will regret not having the longer lens once the weather is nicer and I'm able to be outside more.

I used the 50 exclusively for over a year. I don't think you will have regrets. Long lenses are nice but if you plan on shooting inside they can be super limiting

on both my crop frame and full frame nikons (d600's) the 85mm was definitely my go-to portrait lens when I didn't need the longer 70-200 f/2.8 because of the distance.
the 85 is less limiting on a FF camera, even indoors, and while you are still relegated to the space you have, I think the 85mm is a superior portrait lens to the 50 and 35. (I had all 3) I much prefer longer focal lengths for portraits and when I had the room I was definitely using the longer end of the 70-200.

as far as the above picture goes, its definitely not bad.
could have used some bounced flash here. I also would have stopped down the lens a little more and gotten the rest of the kids head in focus. I find shallow DOF portraits annoying.. the face is in focus, ears are not.

on both my crop frame and full frame nikons (d600's) the 85mm was definitely my go-to portrait lens when I didn't need the longer 70-200 f/2.8 because of the distance.
the 85 is less limiting on a FF camera, even indoors, and while you are still relegated to the space you have, I think the 85mm is a superior portrait lens to the 50 and 35. (I had all 3) I much prefer longer focal lengths for portraits and when I had the room I was definitely using the longer end of the 70-200.

as far as the above picture goes, its definitely not bad.
could have used some bounced flash here. I also would have stopped down the lens a little more and gotten the rest of the kids head in focus. I find shallow DOF portraits annoying.. the face is in focus, ears are not.

I agree with the DOF comment. I think I shot this at F3.5. One of the things I struggle with, especially with my daughter because I'm always pre-occupied, is noticing and adjusting aperture while I'm shooting to make sure that I get it right. I'm better than I was -- I should post some of the things where just my subjects nose is in focus, haha -- but I'll keep working on that.

I only used natural light here. I have a nice big window with a light filtering blind on it to the left. I'm guessing you would have liked some fill light on the right. I know the answer is getting my flash off camera, but until I get some triggers that's probably not going to happen. Where could I have bounced the flash to make that work? Not much on the right side of her, unless I placed something there. I could go to the ceiling though, or behind me? Yellow wall though...

Anyways, I appreciate the comments! Thanks for your help.

You could have just rotated her high chair so her face was more evenly lit [emoji4] and I love shallow DOF portraits. To each his own [emoji482]

indoors, ceilings work great for bouncing flash. yellow walls shouldn't be too bad either. doesn't have to be bright white for it to work. you can also use a bounce card. look up Rogue Flashbender. used them for years and they are fantastic pieces of lighting equipment. they also roll up into a snoot. you cant get a better flash accessory for the money.

I only used natural light here. I have a nice big window with a light filtering blind on it to the left. I'm guessing you would have liked some fill light on the right. I know the answer is getting my flash off camera, but until I get some triggers that's probably not going to happen. Where could I have bounced the flash to make that work?
For these informal family portraits, you might not want to take the time to go get the flash and make all the settings. For this shot, all you need is some kind of reflector on the off side to bring up the shadows just a bit. Grab a white dish towel, toss it over a cereal box, place the box on the table close to your subject and just outside the frame, and resume shooting.

The exif on flickr states that this was shot with the 28-75. It looks good to me. So I guess you will gain more buying the 85 as you will have a good range. You have the 50 covered in your other lens.

Thanks for all the feedback! Something as simple as turning her chair should have occurred to me. I know I need to do more reading on how to use light.

Someone is selling a 50mm 1.8 D on craigslist for $80. I might start there for now, but I definitely think I'll want the 85 eventually.

Most reactions

Back