Pulling the trigger... Nikon D700.

JerryPH

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I've decided to make the puchase and the new toys are coming this Thursday or Friday.

I just ordered a Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 lens, the Nikon battery grip, 2 extra batteries and a couple more 8GB Sandisk Extreme IV CF cards.

Please, no one ask how much this costs... I am currently in denial! :lmao: :lmao:

Saying that I am excited feels almost like the understatement of the year to me! Christmas came early this year! :lol: :D :lol: :D

Oh man. Congrats to the max on that! The D700 is a piece of art I tell you, and you couldn't have picked a better lens for it.

I'm kind of excited for you. In fact, I'm at work right now, and there are no customers around. You've inspired me to go play with our d700.:greenpbl:

EDIT (I know this is too soon, but if you want a recommendation for your next lens purchase, get the 60mm Micro. This thing is incredible)

Good for you! You'll love the 24-70

bye bye D200

Awwww, Jerry. You KNOW you should have gotten the D3, lol. But congrats on the purchase.

And if you want the 8FPS cheaply, get the Phottix Cosmo, great little battery.

Congratz Jerry. Of course, you'll show us some photos to drool over, yes? :biggrin:

I just got my D300 gripped and boy, does it ever make my D80 look like a toy. I mention this because it was partially funded (about half) by SanDisk rebates...... keep an eye open folks.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments. I'll work hard to be worthy of such a good camera and enjoy each "clack" of the shutter. :)

And if you want the 8FPS cheaply, get the Phottix Cosmo, great little battery.

I did a quick search on it and all I found were a lot of Russian posts. Where could I get additional info on these batteries and do they have a matching lower cost charger? I am still considering if I ever would need 8FPS and cannot see that time, but increasing shots per battery would be very cool (not that I would ever need more than three EN-EL3e batteries in a hard day!).

In all the time I have the D200, I never took it off single shot per shutter press, except once to make my niece chuckle with pics that I took of her tossing my cell phone up and down and once to catch a kid jumping off a bridge into the water. :)

Hey, did you know that if you bracket 9 pictures, set the bracket amount to 0... you can do 9 frames at 8FPS with even one single in camera EL-EN3e battery? A little backdoor that Nikon left out... lol

Edit: December 13th our local strobist group has access to a professional studio facility. They will have lighting and backdrops available (not that I need them). We're going to have several models available as well... and by that time I am going to be quite comfortable with the D700. I think that this is going to be my first major workout with the D700, but I do plan to visit a few low light churches and what not to test out the high ISO capabilities of the camera this weekend.

On the D200, by ISO 800, I had to start using small amounts of noise reduction software but on this camera, to get to this level, I will be at ISO 3200 if not more. That is the part of this camera that has me stoked the most. :D

Last edited:
I got to shoot a wedding with a friends D700 recently and I have to say that it was awesome. We were in the enviroment that it was made for (very low light), and it preformed perfectly. Congradulations!

Oh the pressure.... as of around noon today it was in a truck somewhere in Shrewsbury,MA. It's coming closer!

shouldve gotten the D90:)

:cokespit:You're kidding me, right?? Wait, let me illuminate you... :camera: :camera: :camera: :camera: :camera:

- FX sensor
- TONS less high ISO noise than the D90
- Higher ISO level of 25,500 vs 6400 for the D90
- higher FPS (8 vs 4.5)
- superior 51-point AFs vs 11-point
- When sent to Nikon, you automatically get the PROFESSIONAL service level with the D700 vs standard service for the D90

... and this is just what I know off the top of my head. Need I go on? :lol:

The D90 is the replacement for the D80. The D700 is all new and fills a niche that did not exist before, and is just ONE step under the top of the Nikon line D3.

Somebody whip this kid with a wet noodle!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah I'm dumb, the battery is spelled "Kosmo".

I like it, and it does come with it's own charger.

I was gonna say something bout the D90 comment but kept my mouth closed. I'll whip him, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back