Purchase CS5 now or wait for CS6?

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting very interested in buying photoshop. I have Lightroom 3 that I got for $70, and might upgrade to LR 4 soon, but purchasing LR 3 at that price wasn't quite as good a deal as I expected considering the new pricing for Lightroom. So...should I buy CS5 now, or wait until CS6 comes out?

I would think that most would have enough with lightroom and photoshop elements 10. Do you need more than that? Do you need lightroom 4? Lightroom 3 and PSE has an awful lot of power and many pros have done with less. If you do need both I am sure you can buy now and get an upgrade for free,but as the cs6 seems very near it may be prudent to wait

Honestly I haven't looked into PSE. I seem to keep forgetting about it. Thanks for reminding me!

Elements 10 has about 30% of the capabilities CS5/CS6 have. The biggest issue with PsE 10 is being limited to 8-bit depth editing.

CS5/CS6 come with Bridge and Camera Raw (ACR). You have ACR 6 as the Develope module of Lightroom 3. LR 4 and CS6 Camera Raw use ACR 7.

There is no guarantee that if you buy CS5 now, you will get a free pass to CS6, only speculation. Rather than buy CS5 now I would just download and use CS6 BETA.

Wait for CS6... Adobe has never given a free upgrade for anything.

go the the Adobe website and try out the beta of CS6 for free.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try it out now!

Download the free CS6 beta to hold you over until the full version comes out. If it's the right price for you, get the full version. For me, PSE has never been an option. It's nowhere near powerful enough, and being locked into 8-bit editing is a total deal breaker. There's my $.02

Wrong. I just got my upgrade to LR4 after having purchased LR3. Search for it in Google.
I don't know if PS will get the same treatment given the price but possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Photoshop isn't exactly a program that you can quite quickly learn to use effectively.

Wrong. I just got my upgrade to LR4 after having purchased LR3. Search for it in Google.
I don't know if PS will get the same treatment given the price but possibly.

Added from my Galaxy S2 via TapATalk!

I bought my LR3 at $79 from Adorama and less than a month later, Adobe release the LR4. And my free LR4 upgrade is on it way to my door from Adobe now.

This page has details about the complimentary upgrade CS6
Upgrade policy after product announcement

Quoted from Adoble
"If you purchase Creative Suite 5.5 or a Creative Suite 5.5 component between March 26, 2012, and June 30, 2012, you qualify to receive a complimentary upgrade to the equivalent Creative Suite 6 product at no additional cost when it becomes available."

Last time when I tried to get my free upgrade, at one point, the reps on the phone said my purchase price was too low to get the upgrade. However, when I talked to the Adorama reps and asked her to send a copy of the invoice to me, she told me that Adobe had a agreement with Adorama to accept the free upgrade during the Adorama promotion with the Lr3. And asked me to talk to a supervisor if I had problem with the reps about the complimentary upgrade. But when I chat with another reps on their site later on, they just approved it and ordered the software for me.

This year does seem to be a good upgrade year. I stopped at CS3 because everything I do in photography I was able to handle in CS3. But I just read that Adobe will be offering special upgrade pricing for CS3 and CS4 users who upgrade to CS6 when its released, and this special pricing will be in effect until the end of 2012. So, I guess I'll go for the 6 in the next few months and bypass the 5. The only part I don't like is the frustration that comes with a new interface, tools being located in different places, and new stuff to learn, which is why one hates to upgrade in the first place. But at some point, it's inevitable, and surely a few new things will be useful. I also read somewhere that if you buy 5 before May 6th, you get a free upgrade to 6, so you pretty much can't lose on your path to 6, but you will pay.

I'm getting very interested in buying photoshop. I have Lightroom 3 that I got for $70, and might upgrade to LR 4 soon, but purchasing LR 3 at that price wasn't quite as good a deal as I expected considering the new pricing for Lightroom. So...should I buy CS5 now, or wait until CS6 comes out?

I suggests you to buy a photoshop cs6 it is new version and it's free for downloading in Mac OS and Windows in English and Japanese. It have a good feature and it create a new tool for image editing. I think it is good to use in compare of photoshop cs5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back