Purchasing an ND filter

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alright, so I need an ND filter in my bag. I've wanted one for a while but keep putting it off because I know NOTHING about them as far as which ones are good or bad.

So, keeping in mind that I want a 77mm filter, and my budget is around $100, what filter should I get? Are variable ND filters any good, or worth saving more money for?

If you are referring to a 10 stop, I just bought the B&W MRC $200. I am going to be giving it an initiation this weekend. None of them are inexpensive. I looked at the Lee Filter since I have ND Grads with this system and the Hitech. Lee seems to be out of srock everywhere and I was on the fence about the Hitech. There are some pretty good reviews on the net to help you decide. As long as you are shooting RAW you should be able to resolve the color issues. I also chose the B&W because the 10 stop is a 10 stop and I have a cheat sheet at the 10 to help me with my exposure. Others are not 10, they are close to 10 plus or minus, or a 9's. I didn't see anyhing for $100.

The variables achieve their effect by rotating two polarizers with respect to each other. So in addition to the ND, you have double polarization occurring, which can yeild unpredictable results in certain situations. I have a B+W 10-stop that I'm pretty happy with, slight reddish color cast, but shooting in RAW it hardly matters. I think if you want one for $100 you'll have to make some compromises, mainly in coatings. High quality multicoating cuts down on flare, but usually costs >$150. I've been looking around at a 3 or 4 stop and all the attractive ones are similarly priced.

Interesting...I was given a free Camlink CPL. It's so crap..I use it as a sort of ND for close-up flash :)

cheers,

The variables achieve their effect by rotating two polarizers with respect to each other.

I have a Tiffen ND .9 that works fairly well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back