Purchasing Lense hoods

Kathy - i have you thinking you might need to be using one and i'm thinking i might not need one lol.

I would love to hear more opinions on lens hoods, who here uses them and why it might me an advantage.
We will see who chimes in here and what their reasons are for using them or not using them.

Lens hood = less light coming on the front element at a step angle = less light bouncing inside the barrel which eventually give better contrast to your picture.

Try it, take a picture in the sun with and without shading the lens with your hand.

I may be a minority here, but do a lot of people use their lens hoods because I don't...........

I guess I should have asked you if you did before I decided.......... :er:
Huh?

........a lot of people use their lens hoods because I don't...........

You make it sound like people should use a hood because you don't. I didn't know I needed to check with you first. You're missing a comma between hoods and because.

Kathy - i have you thinking you might need to be using one and i'm thinking i might not need one lol.

I would love to hear more opinions on lens hoods, who here uses them and why it might me an advantage.

I use 'em as much as possible. Not only for their intended purpose, but also for front element protection.

ok well i cant see the harm in using one, i see more advantages then disadvantages in my research. I have been looking on canon's web site and can not find the hoods for my lenses, mostly out of stock on hoods.

Any suggestion where i can find oem canon hoods online i have done some searches but am just finding knock offs.

I use lens hoods on all of my lenses. They cut down lens flare and provide a bit of protection.

I can't really think of a good reason not to use them. Heck, even a cheap no-name lens hood will work fine so long as you do a few tests to check for vignetting.

If you do go for the no-name hoods then keep in mind that a petal-shaped hood is useless on a lens whose front element rotates during focus.

.......If you do go for the no-name hoods then keep in mind that a petal-shaped hood is useless on a lens whose front element rotates during focus.

Most lenses with a rotating front element won't accept a bayonet-petal hood anyway.

As for cheap knock-offs, what's so wrong about them?

.......If you do go for the no-name hoods then keep in mind that a petal-shaped hood is useless on a lens whose front element rotates during focus.

Most lenses with a rotating front element won't accept a bayonet-petal hood anyway.

As for cheap knock-offs, what's so wrong about them?

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. On the contrary, all of my lens hoods are no-names.

Lens hoods are one thing that I can't justify spending more money on than I need to. Even a cheap one will do as well as one which a manufacturer recommends. As long as you take your focal length into consideration to avoid vignetting, but even then, if you only spent a few dollars on it anyway then it won't be the end of the world if you end up not using it.

well i just spent a whooping total of $13.00 on ebay for some no name lens hoods that are recommenced for each of the lenses i have. At that cost i think its worth the investment assuming they work out. I would have paid more then 3 times that for one of canons but they say you get what you pay for so we will see,

If they turn out to be junk ill buy the name brand canon ones ones and will have learned my $13.00 lens hood lesson. ;)

Thanks for the link SCraig and thanks for your insights guys and gals ill update this when they get here

Last edited:
well i just spent a whooping total of $13.00 on ebay for some no name lens hoods that are recommenced for each of the lenses i have. At that cost i think its worth the investment assuming they work out. I would have paid more then 3 times that for one of canons but they say you get what you pay for so we will see,

If they turn out to be junk ill buy the name brand canon ones ones and will have learned my $13.00 lens hood lesson. ;)
They are just plastic lens hoods. OK, sometimes aluminum but more often plastic. As long as they fit on the lens, don't vignette, and don't fall off you're fine. If they tend to fall of a piece of electrical tape will fix that.

I guess I just gradually stopped bringing them with me to shoots because I liked the lens flare and the haze. Still do to an extent. Either that or I have somehow adapted without them. I think I will try to put them back on for a week and see if I notice a difference or if they drive me nuts.

The only reason i looked into this is because i had some lens flare on a few of my photos which was not the desired effect. I understand some people go for it as an effect but i'm not there. I don't know if i will hate having a lens hood or not mainly because i have never had one on my camera so time will tell.

What man doesn't want to add a few inches of length?............with a lens hood....jk

just wanted to say i got my 13.00 lens hoods yesterday. I have to say they feel of decent quality and fit nice and snug the the lens. I will be using them today to see if i notice any negative impact.

Most reactions

Back