Purchasing Timing

avil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to make an investment in a good quality digital still camera. I have a Nikon D60 that the company owns and I have been using it for the past year. I am impressed with the results but I would like to step up to something better. I have a contact with a Sony rep from buying video equipment and he told me to hold tight till April or May and I could get a much better deal. I know with pro video equipment the second the new stuff comes out the older models drop in price. I can use the D60 for a few more months, not a big deal. Is right now a bad time to buy?

Also, some camera / lens recommendations. I would consider spending $1200-1300. My interest is shooting landscapes, buildings and an occasional product shot for one of our production clients. One feature I would love to have is remote triggering for working off a tripod.

I can get a good deal on Sony still camera. Their video camera's are top shelf. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

SONY just discontinued the A700, so prices on that body are a fabulous $799 or less these days. Canon just dropped the 5D-II price to below $2500 in anticipation of Nikon releasing a new camera or cameras at the Feb 21-23, 2010 PMA show in Las Vegas or in concert with the Winter Olympics--Nikon has premiered quite a few bits of equipment at the Olympics over the past four decades, like the then world's fastest 400mm f/3.5 ED-IF internal focus super-tele, which got a workout at the Montreal Olympics during the lens's premier. The Olympics is a high-profile photographic event and many hobbyists and pros are on the web looking at images, reading about the Olympics, and there's plenty of free publicity for new, seeded cameras distributed to top shooters who cover the Olympics.

By April or May, there might indeed be some VERY good deals on closeout cameras from Nikon, and it is possible that Canon might have to lower the 7D's $1700 price a bit to compete with, perhaps a new Nikon D400 18MP APS-C high-speed camera...

We are coming into the time, Q-1 and Q-2 2010 when new equipment is expected,and Nikon has a number of new DX lenses scheduled to appear this year. It might indeed be wise to stand pat for a few months more before committing any substantial money to a new d-slr and or lens setup.

We are coming into the time, Q-1 and Q-2 2010 when new equipment is expected,and Nikon has a number of new DX lenses scheduled to appear this year. It might indeed be wise to stand pat for a few months more before committing any substantial money to a new d-slr and or lens setup.

This is what the Sony rep told me, hang in their for a few months. I also want to visit a big shop and demo equipment.

Since you're $$ conscious here's some tips:

1) Don't buy new; high-end DSLR's are very rugged and reliable. Don't be afraid of used and refurbished. I've purchased two refurbished nikons and they are 100% as good as new.

2) If you go with a nikon, try to make sure it's one that has an AF motor. Your lens selections will be far more economical if you do. On the same note: if you buy a nikon that is compatiable with AIS manual focus lenses (d200/300/700) you can save a small fortune on macro and wide lenses where autofocus is not all that important.

3) The absolute best online deals on used gear involve purchasing a large expensive lot of camera equipment (body, multiple lenses, tripod, flash etc.) and then selling whatever it is you don't need. Almost every lens I've purchased came with a camera body attached--I just resell the camera body and end up saving 25-50% on the lens.

Over the past 20 years I have bought tons of used photography and video equipment. Some good results; some bad results. With this purchase I would prefer to buy something new. Sony has a particular interest for me in that my company just purchased a new video camera and I probably can get a real good deal on a still camera. With that said I am open to any good deal even if means spending a little bit more money, but for $1300 that should bring me a nice camera with a good piece of glass.

Most reactions

Back