Q's about lighting in these shots. Plz help

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok so both of these shots were taken the same night, in fact, back to back, only on one I used the flash, the other I used A-Priority, with no flash and got a much better picture, at least I think so. Since using A-prioity I've noticed how much better shots look, at night at least, than using Auto, which uses the flash and gives an artificial color to the picture, one that you aren't seeing in real life. Do you too avoid using the flash, or is there somethign I'm doing wrong? thanks alot! Here are the photos:
#1 With Flash
DSC_0002-2.jpg

#2 Withouth Flash
DSC_0001-1.jpg

I can't speak for everyone, but in general, I think most photography enthusiasts try to avoid using on-camera flash by itself. For night shots, shooting with a tripod and using long exposure, like you're doing already, works well. One thing you can also try is firing the flash and leaving the shutter open, so the background gets exposed a little more.

Yeah, I pretty much never use the on-camera built in flash unless in a pinch where I use it for fill flash or rear curtain sync. but that is very rarely

I like # 2 best, kinda cool that the background is not as bright as it could be, but that make you focus on the item at hand. Good eye and nice shot.

Yes, built-in flash ruins many photos. You will almost never see experienced photographers using built-in flash unless they are using it as part of a flash system to trigger other remote external flashes.

The 2nd photo is way better. If you need to use flash, get an external flash and try to bounce the flash or use it off-camera. You will be amazed at the difference.

thanks alot for comments on my 2nd picture, I really like it alot, plus I took it! Question though: Do you think the lamp in the background (I'd say street light, but this isn't on the street, it's more to light the walk ways) anyway, do you think that is distracting, or ruins the shot, or would the shot be better without it? just curious. again thankyou for your comments and tips.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back