quadrocopter aerial photography/video

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Anyone have experience with quadrocopters for photo/video?
I'm looking to attach a GoPro and do both photo and video aerial shoots. Can anyone recommend a product that is reliable and offers smooth video.
My budget is no more than $1000 for the aerial rig.

Thanks!!

A gopro only weighs about 7 ounces based on my hasty google research. Then you're going to need some sort of gimbal system with servo motors and additional remote control to control where the camera is pointing, which could easily weigh another half pound to a pound and will itself cost a few hundred dollars.

Then you need an RC helicopter that can lift 1-1.5 pounds, which is a lot. That will cost you probably $400+

Any sort of insurance would probably be very expensive as well, maybe $100-200

So I'd say $1000 budget is possible, but that's only if youre engineering all the parts together YOURSELF as a DIY project. A commercial version off the shelf that does what you want would likely cost $2000-3000, I'm guessing. The products linked by the poster above me retail for $4000-5000, but they are capable of lifting like 10 pounds, so that's way overkill for you.

ya 2-3k is def out of my price range for now...a DIY might be the way to go. I was looking at the DGI Phantom...not sure how good it is for professional work?

any other suggestions on aerial rigs?

oh well i seem to stand corrected. That looks bad by itself (nothing to stop the camera tilting around wildldy as you bank or turn), but there is apparently a cheap gimbal made for it by zenmuse that allows you to control tilt and dampen unintended tilt. Dunno how much it costs exactly, but the article i read suggests roughly 1000 for the system. So yeah maybe no DIY needed, though probably still most of your budget.

dak - as Gavjenks suggests, you're going to need both the copter and a gimbal. It's going to be a challenge to find a ready-to-fly combination better than the $679 DJI Phantom and the $999 Zenmuse H3-2D Brushless Gimbal. Yes, it's $678 over your budget, but the thing is as smooth as a flying carpet :)

[video=vimeo;65882821]http://vimeo.com/65882821[/video]​

Hope that's helpful and good luck with your project. Post video if you can!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
dak - as Gavjenks suggests, you're going to need both the copter and a gimbal. It's going to be a challenge to find a ready-to-fly combination less expensive than the $679 DJI Phantom and the $999 Zenmuse H3-2D Brushless Gimbal. Yes, it's $678 over your budget, but the thing is as smooth as a flying carpet :)

Video Link: http://vimeo.com/65882821

Hope that's helpful and good luck with your project. Post video if you can!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

That is some cool stuff man.

dak - Addendum to my earlier post: as with most things, there is an inexpensive Hong Kong alternative. You can get an almost ready to fly (ARTF) Hero gimbal for the $679 DJI Phantom with a 2212 brushless motor for $252 via eBay. Here is a sample video:

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
...and for a few dollars more, you can get an ARTF Hero gimbal for the Phantom from the same manufacturer with a lighter-weight 2208 brushless motor with more endurance (about 8 minutes versus 7 minutes for the 2212). This gimbal is $282 via eBay. Sample video in separate post because TPF has a "one video per post" limit (please watch at 1080p):

With either of these gimbals, you should be able to stay below your $1000 aerial rig budget ceiling :)

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
super smoooooth. that's what i'm looking for! Is there any cheaper alternative besides the moon gel? The $999 Zenmuse H3-2D Brushless Gimbal i think might fit in my budget now:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back