Quality Problem

Casualtie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been have trouble with the quality of my pictures. At first I thought it was the camera, but I'm convinced that it's some I'm doing wrong with the settings.

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is the exposure, shutter speed, arpeture, or a combination of these. The first I though would have been a great picture if it weren't so grainy. The second is just for example.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/Lulzkiller/100_1585.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/Lulzkiller/100_1773.jpg

Thanks!

What shooting mode were you in? full manual or one of the priority modes or auto? Also, what camera are you using? Lens? What was your iso at? Seems like in the first one maybe at the settings you had there wasnt enough light so the camera may have automatically bumped the iso way up. The second i think the shutter was too slow so there is some camera shake.

I'm using a Kodak EasyShare. It's a nice camera and I've taken a few quality shots with it, but more than once I've have good shoots come out low quality.

The first shot, I believe, was on a high ISO setting. I switch the modes around a lot because I haven't figured out which is better for what situation yet, but I was wondering if you guys could tell me specifically what settings effect the quality. I'm still learning..

what are all the settings on the camera? Are there any that say manual or aperture or a/v or are they all just pictures like of a nighttime or a person etc.? Im not really familiar with the easyshares sorry.

One of your pictures, the car: 1/30th of a second, wide open at f/2.8 and ISO 1000...

Dude, you are taking pictures of moving objects hand held in virtual darkness...

Your camera will be very grainy and noisy at 1000 ISO, it just will. Virtually any point and shoots are like this, due to the tiny size of their sensors.

Your camera needs light to take pictures, or it needs to be put on a tripod and taking pictures of still subjects.

Everything else means grain and blur.

What sabbath said.

And the first one was 1/6s, f/2.8 at iso1600 which is even more extreme.

My camera has a sports mode, smart scene mode, a high ISO mode, and a mode with multiple scene options. It also has a manual settings mode, shutter priority mode, aperture priority mode, and exposure and flash compensations priority mode.

I'm confused. Is there a brief guide you guys can link me to to help me figure out the roles ISO.

While your camera may have a "High ISO" mode, that doesn't mean it will take good pictures with a High ISO.

The sensor on your camera, like virtually ever P&S, is TINY, and there are lots of pixels on it attached in a very small area. That means that not very much physical light hits them.

What the high ISO mode does (this is a VERY oversimplified explanation, my apologies to all electrical engineering aficionados) is amplify the output of those pixels. Basically, they boost the signal of of the photoreceptors. That is the good part. The bad part is when you increase signal output, you also increase noise... i.e. your pictures become unpleasantly grainy.

Some cameras are better than others, but no P&S is very good at high ISO's... even the really expensive ones tend to choke-n-puke at anything over 400, and most P&S's can't even shoot 400 ISO well. It is simply a part of the design limitations.

IMHO you need to concentrate on taking pictures where you either have light enough to shoot good, clean images... or you need to learn how to set your camera on a tripod and take longer exposures of objects that are moving... or you need to learn how to best use your flash (which is quite limited on most P&S cameras).

Daylight is your best friend.

Your problem is the sun.
You're not using it...lol.

Sorry for oversimplifying...but you're not going to get good night time pictures without a tripod if you're trying to take pictures of objects.

Most reactions

Back