Quantaray Flashs good or bad or such???

STICKMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, as a new guy around here I have many questions. This being one of them. I posted here as I am looking for a more experenced answer than my fellow newbies.

I am looking for a external flash but am limited on funds. I have been looking a the Quantaray Flashes and was wondering if anyone here can give me a honest thought on the matter.

I shoot with a Nikon D40 and will be using this flash for landscape/animal shots and for shots of cakes and cookies for my wifes business.

Any thoughts good bad or such please post away. I would love to just but a nikon flash but watching the funds at the moment.

Which one are you looking at? Some aren't much more powerful than the popup flash. You can find used Sunpak 383's and Vivitar 285HV's for probably about $50 on ebay. They're $80-$90 new. Those two are manual flashes, but I'm sure you're not going to find a ttl flash for under $200ish.

ED: www.strobist.com

The quantaray's are lousy peices of junk, don't get them you'll be better off with an SB-400/600/800/ or 900. They're flimsy, cheap construction, and aren't very powerfulcompared to the Nikon SB's. :thumbdown:

Ok, Glad I asked. So i will be loking in the ebay ones or just saving up my $$ and buy a nikon one...

Get the Nikon one. You can walk into any Ritz and see what I mean.

I have a cheap quantaray, or very similar flash somewhere(probably gave it away). It was a cheap piece of plastic, had a obscenely long recycle time, but was still 20 times better than the pop-up flash. I also only paid like a few dollars for it at a garage sale, so for the price I have no complaints. Something real cheap can get you by for a while, but I would suggest buying used on the cheap side and save your money for a nice Nikon.

You can pick up a used Nikon SB-24/25/28 for under $100, and they'll do you just fine for off-camera work. Unless you're going to be using CLS, you don't need an SB-800.

I've used a Quantaray with no ill effect up until I upgraded to another camera that came with a more modern flash unit. I also think the build quality was at least as good as the Vivitars or Sunpaks.

Stickman, have you been to the strobist site?

Read through that before buying anything if you have not yet done so.

Not yet but I will search it out this evening. I guess I really need to do more research and figure out what it is I really need. I am thinking kinda of a general purpose that i can direct for a start. Am I in left field here or what? This is all new to me, and thanks to all who have replied!!!!!!!

You might want to go to B&H and, see what they have there. They have some non-Nikon flashes that will work with the i-TTL. If you really need a flash that badly. Then you can save for a nice SB.

Most reactions

Back