Question about a release

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by hokies2379, May 14, 2019.

1. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe, but what you're describing doesn't seem like standard procedure. I'm not sure why you're being asked to sign a form from the band/venue management that allows them usage of your photos (apparently without compensation or a photo credit). Not if you're shooting for a publication, that seems like a conflict.

If you're taking photos for a publication they should be contracting with you for compensation/payment and licensing usage of your images. They should be getting the credentials for you.

That's where a request usually comes from, then goes through the PR person or media dept., etc., then is issued to the photographer (or reporter, writer, etc.). You probably need to get clarification.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    First three songs has been industry standard for YEARS.

Petty restrictive. The music biz has made deals like this, or WORSE, for years now.

Pretty draconian, but they own the artists, and control rights, tightly.

You are allowed to shoot for THEm, and THEY own they copyright to photos of their "acts". Depressing, but yeah, this is not widely known outside of the business.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. vintagesnaps

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If anything locally Derrel it's gotten more restrictive on what lenses can be brought in, etc. It's worked its way down from pro to minor pro to college to even some high school sports in my area. (I think online use and then social media contributed to tighter control of team and player images than there used to be.)

I know what you mean John, when access is allowed to areas off limits to fans but isn't the same as media credentials. In my experience it's given to sponsors more than fans! Unless at college games they're alumni who contribute a lot to support the team or sport, then they get to sit in nice box seats - with food! brought to them rather than having to stand in line at the concessions like the rest of us! lol

4. hokies2379

hokies2379 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I understood the rest of it. My only question was literally about whether or not I could share on my site or if only the publication could.

Seemed to take a different turn. But it’s always good for discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    concert contract.jpg

Seems clear; the publication is with ONE site; if you want others to see the photos, you should LINK to them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hokies2379

Photos OK to edit
  7. hokies2379

Photos OK to edit
    They’re a monthly publication, so their online presence is meh, at best.

Hence why the question was there.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. vintagesnaps

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Aren't people always saying posting/sharing on social media is editorial use and permission/releases aren't needed?? Of course in these cases it functions as promotion too... Were these photos unpublished? Were they shared to social media? which would've put them under the Terms & Conditions of the website where the photos were shared... This seems to be a photographer who's paparazzi and for whatever reason didn't sell/license the photos to a tabloid and now wants to get some money out of them.

What I'm not sure about is if shooting for a publication that a venue/manager etc. would ask a photographer to sign a form allowing them seemingly unlimited usage. Probably it would be good to look into resources from pro photographers organizations like PPA or ASMP etc., maybe clarify this for future reference.

I agree Derrel it's probably best to link to the website where the photos were used/published.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit