Question about B/W photography & recommended film

Unknownphynix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello - with this being my first post, I really enjoy learning from this forum. Anyway, I have been shooting digital for sometime now, and recently started shooting film (color ISO 200). However I was wondering what techniques/advice as to using B/W film. Do I meter the same way I do with color film? Most of the time for landscape shooting, I use the sunny 16 rule. Once in a while I'll also meter off background using D7000, and transfer exposure values. So my question is:
what are general B/W exposure settings/ film speed?
What is best film to use?

I like using my F3 for street photography, landscape, and want to use shoot portrait in B/W.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Unknown, welcome to the forum, welcome to the film.
You are saying, that you have F3. What's wrong with it's own light meter ? Sunny 16 is far from perfection, can go with landscape, but not with street and portrait.

I have the HP version of the F3, and I also have near sight vision and wear glasses. I LOVE the huge view finders of full frame SLR's, but for this one I can barely see the reading on the display (it works fine). I know the metering on my F3 is very accurate. I just don't have time to be squinting in the viewfinder to see metering, and miss a good shot.

Last edited:
I know the metering on my F3 is very accurate. I just don't have time to be squinting in the viewfinder to see metering, and miss a good shot.
Well, maybe you should learn, how to use it as it is the best way for the street. In any case you don't have to control it with every shot, F3 has, I think, aperture priority, so once you set the aperture for the DoF you want, speed will be controlled automatically.

It does have aperture priority. I usualy use the DoF to meter with correct aperturechosen for my non-AI lenses (mostly my 28mm), but again I have trouble seeing the LCD reading. I never thought of using aperture Auto mode for street photograpy. On my D7000 I shoot in P mode in case I need to quickly take a shot. Makes sense so I don't have to keep changing shutter speed and and possibly miss a good moment.

I always feel weird doing street photography, as I'm a shy person and people are sometimes curious as to why I'm taking there picture.

Last edited:
I always feel weird doing street photography, as I'm a shy person and people are sometimes curious as to why I'm taking there picture.
Not only your problem, belief me.
28 -35 mm lens seems to be a good choice for street. With aperture at 5,6 DoF will be from about 6 feet to infinity, which should be good enough for most occasions and bright enough for fast shutter speed. Just time to time check light conditions to make sure you have at least 1/250 .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back