Question about ball heads / tripods

arcooke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never used a ball head before. I really like the fine-tuning capabilities of a pan and tilt. Is it a lot more difficult to adjust for perfect framing using a ball head? It seems it might be. Also, is it generally easy to tilt the camera on its side on a ballhead to take portrait shots? It looks like there's only one groove in the side of the... ball holder... for you to tilt the camera on its side. That an issue at all?

This is the combination I'm looking at:
Giottos MH1000 Pro Large Ball Head MH1000-300 - B&H Photo Video

Slik 700DX Pro Tripod Legs (Black) 615-317 - B&H Photo Video

And.. one last question.. can I expect any head to fit any set of legs?

Thanks

i think most people find them a lot easier and faster to use than pan.tilt...

i've never actually used a pantilt so i dont know about those... but i'm fine with the ballhead... u can adjust the resistance for when u adjust so it's not bad...

it's ez to put in portrait cuz u can just stick it in that groove u mention... if you do a ton of portrait stuff though u may want to consider one of those heads that matches with L-plates... so you can actually stick the camera right on axis on it's side instead of hinging it over... Really Right Stuff -

Ball heads are generally more versatile and quicker to use than tilt/pan heads. I can't access your links from work, but I'll assume that the head you've linked to has a separate friction control. My preference is to use tilt/pan heads for studio work and ball heads for the field.

Generally, any name-brand head will fit any name-brand set of legs (regardless of maker). The only time it gets a bit sketchy is when you're dealing with inexpensive units that may not follow the common standard.

Are you making a distinction between a pan/tilt and a 3-way? Pan & tilt are (IMO) more suited to video and for still photography you will want a 3-way or a ball.

I've used both and I prefer the ball heads.

Are you making a distinction between a pan/tilt and a 3-way? Pan & tilt are (IMO) more suited to video and for still photography you will want a 3-way or a ball.

I've used both and I prefer the ball heads.

Thanks Mike - I have a very bad habit of referring to 3 way heads simply as tilt-pan which is incorrect. I meant 3-way in my post.

Is it a lot more difficult to adjust for perfect framing using a ball head?

I just recently got a Manfrotto tripod with a ball-head. I've found framing shots to be much easier than with a three-way head.

Also, is it generally easy to tilt the camera on its side on a ballhead to take portrait shots? It looks like there's only one groove in the side of the... ball holder... for you to tilt the camera on its side. That an issue at all?

I remember thinking the same thing when I was first looking at ball-heads on Amazon. When I finally got one, I realized that the slotted portion of the head can rotate 360 degrees whenever you loosen the lock to adjust the ball. So, for example, let's say I set up my tripod and the slot is facing my subject. When I loosen the lock knob, I can just turn the entire body of the ball-head so that the slot is now perpendicular to my subject... I don't have to move the tripod legs, at all.

It's much easier to demonstrate than explain, but hopefully I cleared a few things up for you.

I have used pan/tilt, 3-way, and ballheads on tripods ranging from 1950's to 1990's age...I really prefer the convenience of the heavy-duty ballhead to the other styles. The ballhead is just....FAST! Leg sets will all have a 3/8 inch National Coarse male thread on top,and the heads will be female 3/8 N.C. on the bottom....easy-peasey...

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with ball head after all. If I regret it and want to go back to 3-way, no biggie.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back