Question about buyout music

DCraig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question relating to buyout/royalty free music. A number of photographer friends were recently describing how difficult it is to find buyout music that could be used for projects such as wedding slide shows that is characterized by:
- distinct and flowing melody lines (as opposed to new age music)
- limited dynamic fluctuation
- Simple instrumentation i.e. solo piano or guitar with supporting strings
Here is a link to the kind of music I am talking about:
http://thomasbergersen.com/music/05-celebrate-life.mp3
As a composer I have an interest in being an online provider of this type of buyout music, however, what do you believe the need is and what demand would there be? If there is not a need for this kind of music, have you experienced there to be a lack of other genres?
Thanks

I wouldn't say that it's difficult to find. A quick search for 'royalty free music' will turn up a whole bunch of sites.

As for quality stuff, that might be harder to find.

Thanks for your reply. You're certainly right about there being a lot of royalty free music sites. Would you say that finding quality buyout music for slide shows or what not has never been an issue? Do you often use the same music for different projects?

Thanks

I've only purchased a couple songs, and I think I've probably used them a few times.

I don't know if it's an issue of finding 'quality' per say...but finding something that isn't the 'same old stuff'.

Music is a problem for many photographers, but it extends beyond wedding photos. I have done numerous photo presentations to large groups on themes as unique as the history of a school/community to an amusing look at company staff.

Basic from my point of view is that no particular piece of music fits the timeline for a projected presentation and that music must fit the photos and the pace of the presentation.

Slide presentations used to put people to sleep and the music in your link unfortunately would have helped, despite the presentation now being digital.

In theme, music that has a general ethnic, dance, march, workout, nature, peaceful sound. Instrumental works well, but I prefer music that is not too recognizable in style. I once used the Irish washerwoman in disco which certainly appealed to a young audience.

Pace needs to fit about a photo for every 6 seconds and change from slow to fast or fast to slow to fit certain parts of the presentation. I once used a piece that came to a gradual stop and then changed to a faster beat. I matched the change in pace of the music to changing the pace in the presentation to keep everyone awake and attentive.

Since the music needs to appeal as well as the photos, you need to realize that the music should have a modern, with-it sound as well. Elevator music is certainly not what anyone wants at the dull end of the spectrum, but of course music that distracts from the photos is not wanted at the other end either. Realize too, that music editing will be necessary by the photographer or someone he/she hires. Not all music is easy to edit.

So, yes, there is a definite need for good, appropriate music to accompany photo presentations that is royalty free.

skieur

Do you have a sample or a link you could direct me to that would give me a better idea of the style of music you're talking about?

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back