Question about Canon 430EX Flash

ETTL metering requires two way communication. That is why you can't get ETTL metering with 430EX via wireless. It can only act as a slave in this mode.

That sucks, i thought that it can act as a remote too :|
So if the PC cord only gives me the freedom of controlling it manually, then i guess i should start raising money fort the 580ex :confused:

Anyway thanks guys :)

No, I said you can't get ETTL metering via wireless. It can only be used as a slave in a wireless setup.

According to the manual that came with my 430EX II, the E-TTL is retained when using the 580 EX as a master... wirelessly.

When the 430EX is off the camera, it can only be used as a slave. This assumes you don't have it connected with a cable connected to the hot shoe. You can trigger the flash in a number of ways, but if you want to have any automatic control over the flash level (ETTL) it needs to be in communication with a master that is connected to the camera that can communicate with the cameras metering system. The only way I know of doing this is either with a master flash like the 580EX or the ST-E2 transmitter.

I didn't mean to say the 430EX couldn't be used wireless, only that the full ETTL capability would not be there unless using one of the above methods.

Most reactions

Back