Question about Canon 430EX Flash

ETTL metering requires two way communication. That is why you can't get ETTL metering with 430EX via wireless. It can only act as a slave in this mode.

That sucks, i thought that it can act as a remote too :|
So if the PC cord only gives me the freedom of controlling it manually, then i guess i should start raising money fort the 580ex :confused:

Anyway thanks guys :)

No, I said you can't get ETTL metering via wireless. It can only be used as a slave in a wireless setup.

According to the manual that came with my 430EX II, the E-TTL is retained when using the 580 EX as a master... wirelessly.

When the 430EX is off the camera, it can only be used as a slave. This assumes you don't have it connected with a cable connected to the hot shoe. You can trigger the flash in a number of ways, but if you want to have any automatic control over the flash level (ETTL) it needs to be in communication with a master that is connected to the camera that can communicate with the cameras metering system. The only way I know of doing this is either with a master flash like the 580EX or the ST-E2 transmitter.

I didn't mean to say the 430EX couldn't be used wireless, only that the full ETTL capability would not be there unless using one of the above methods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back