Question about changing background color using PS CS6.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In this video, the lady changes the background color using a hue/saturation mask. But, when I try do the same thing at the 0:45 mark where she slides the color scale to pick her background color, the only thing on my image that changes color is the person in the photo. The background in my photo is solid white and it does not change color. When she slides the color scale the entire image changes color.

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm trying to follow her steps but it's not working for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no 'hue' to change with a white background.

I was actually going to guess that. Is that why it's not selecting the background? Seems simple. But, I need to learn how to add color then to a white background.

Thanks.

Okay, but I was able to use the paintbrush tool and paint the background green and then use the use/saturation tool and do this. One extra step, but it worked.

Man, that's a LOT of work. Almost not worth the effort.

It might be faster to make the original background into a layer and add a fill layer beneath it with your chosen color and then mask away the white or use the blendif layer tools.

Okay, but I was able to use the paintbrush tool and paint the background green and then use the use/saturation tool and do this. One extra step, but it worked.

Man, that's a LOT of work. Almost not worth the effort.
Learn masking. Makes it practically painless when you know how to mask.

The 3 most important things to learn to do in Photoshop are:
How to make selections using the various selection tools and functions Photoshop has available. Read up on how to use the Magic Wand tool, Color Range, and Refine Edge. Photoshops selection tools - Bing
Adobe Photoshop * Adjusting pixel selections
How to make masks from selections. Photoshop Help | Masking layers
How to use layers to advantage. Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition)

Hopefully you downloaded the CS 6 user's manual.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back