Question about concert pictures

Unia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all!
I recently got a Fujifilm Finepix S1000FD for a festival taking place in the next days, but I haven't had the chance to use it at a concert so far. I had another one by Fujifilm before, so they are a bit similar.
But at concerts I have this problem; if I take pics without the flash, where you can't really keep the camera perfectly still and tripods are not allowed, the pictures are not clear anymore and really shaky, especially the ones with zoom.
But using the flash also kinda ruins them, because it always puts more light on the things closer to the camera, and sometimes makes them a bit grainy. Not sure how to explain, but the colors just seem to look a lot better without flash.
Do you usually people use flash on your concert pics? If not, how can you stop the picture from being shaky? Someone told me once to take the pic with flash, but to cover the light from the flash with my hand, so that the stage light remains the same, and the picture is not shaky anymore. But I haven't had the chance to test that on the new camera yet, so I'm not sure how it will work. I just wanted to ask if there is any other similar trick, or if it's better to just use the flash and ignore that part. Thanks in advance.
blank.gif
:)

P.S.: I'm talking especially about metal concerts with a lot of moment and stuff like that.

Unfortunately, you're being hampered by the limitations of your camera. The small sensors, and slow lenses inherent in point and shoot-syle cameras really limit their usefulness for this type of work. Unfortunately, I don't think that there is much that you can do that will improve your images without significantly improving your gear. Unfortunately, that leads into the whole "professional gear isn't usually allowed in concert venues".

Concert photography is something that requires decent gear, specially when shooting in low light venues. You can get by in day light during festivals with most cameras.

When I shoot in a pit, the rules always state no flash. And unless I can setup some flashes wirelessly triggered, I would never use any anyways. The lights of the show are part of the show. Blasting it with a cheapy camera flash just floods the people in the middle with light and kills the rest.

Metal, with alot of movement, requires really fast shutter speeds (unless you want some slight blur in the hair during those twirls). 1/320 is a minimum for fast movement to get something sharp. In order to achieve a fast shutter in low light, I usually shoot at ISO 1600, many times bumping it up to 3200. With a small point and shoot camera, high ISO is really sh!t. And by high, I mean over 400. The noise is bad, the colours can be wonky. The shutter lag that you have (time between clicking the shutter button and when the picture is actually taken) is very limiting. There is a reason why I have the gear I do to shoot the shows I shoot.

I shot a 2 day metal festival, which was from 11am to 11pm. The day shooters had various level of cameras and got good results. When the sun went down and the stage lights went up, they weren't shooting anymore. The festival was 60k plus people, so the lights were pretty strong and you could net something decent if there wasn't alot of movement and you knew what you were doing. But when I'm given 1 song to shoot Motorhead, I don't want to miss any shots :)

If you want something somewhat sharp and clear, you will have to use flash. Note that performers really hate flash. Imagine being on stage with flashes going off all the time. Bloody annoying IMO. No other tricks can really help, you are seriously limited with the camera for the type of shooting you want to do

My suggestion? If you are a fan, take a few shots, then put the camera away and enjoy the show :)

I do a lot of concert and small venue show type photography. I don't use a flash unless the venue is very very poorly lit.

But you need decent gear. You can't really do it with a point and shoot.

Fast lenses are a must. A good body that is decent in low light is another must.

I use a Canon 60D with a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and a Canon 50mm f/1.8. Also, depending where I'm shooting, a 580EX II Speedlite flash.

At the small venue shows where I am a regular and where the lights suck, I use a flash and its permitted.

Also, in large venues a flash is really quite worthless.

But I'm allowed on stage when I do my shoots, I talk to the bands personally and get to know them beforehand and they give me whatever access I want.

I suggest going, taking some photos and rocking out! Metal shows are the best!!!

Check out my work.

www.facebook.com/glory.guts.photography.productionss and you'll get a better idea. :)

GOOD LUCK! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back