Question about Custom Control on 5D MKIII

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by dbvirago, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dbvirago

dbvirago No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Trying to set the Multi-Controller to set the AF point. Had it this way on the 40D and per the manual should work. But I have to press the AF Point Selection button and the M-Fn button before it works. If I press either back button or shutter button, then use multi-controller, nothing happens

Assume some other setting has it locked out, but can't figure out what.

fyi, also have back button focus set.

2. xyphoto

xyphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out the manual on page 326. The second paragraph talks about direct AF point selection. I have mine configured so I don't have to press the AF point selection button to use the multicontroller to move the AF point.

3. dbvirago

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, but I understand that. I have changed the custom control, but it doesn't work. When I press the AF-on (back button focus), then move the multi-controller, nothing happens. Also, clicking it doesn't change anything. I also notice under the Select AF area selec. mode screen, I can't choose the 2nd option. I assume I have set something that is preventing me from being able to choose a single focus point, but can't figure out what it is.

4. dbvirago

Photos OK to edit

Ok, figured this out. I downloaded the 1DX manual which had a much better explanation. I had set it to 61 point automatic selection AF zone.

So my next question is which mode most of you use for general shooting? On the 40D, I usually left in single point, defaulted to the center point and moved it as needed. I'm torn between setting the same on the MKIII or putting back to full auto - thinking the camera is smarter and faster than I am.

Thanks