question about exposure and shutter speed

hercry1441

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's the difference between long exposure and slow shutter speed?
I mean, when I put my camera in long exposure mode, obviously the shots come out overexposed unless I'm taking them at night, but what about those pictures of running water, you know, that are slow shutter speed? Is it possible on a Canon Powershot SD300 to change shutter speed? Or can I not take pictures like that except at night?
I don't think I phrased what I was trying to say very well, but I hope someone understood that haha..
Thanks so much!!

Long exposure is made my a slow shutter speed. So there pretty much the same. But i have no knowledge of your camera and its settings so i cant help you out with controlling this.

You can set a very slow shutter speed during the day. Try for an overcast day, and then don't set it SUPER slow, but slow enough to blur the fast water. You could probably get away with ss of 25 or so to get the effect.

Then meter for your appropriate aperature. It will probably be f22 or so. Thats OK because depth of field won't be your priority.

Hope that answered your question?

Also watch your ISO. Try pushing it to 800 and see if you can get a good meter. Better to have some noise and reduce later in PS, than to have too much light thats unfixable.

This is where a neutral density filter comes in handy. It reduces the amount of light coming in to allow for a longer exposure time in brighter conditions. There are different degrees of density to block more or less light. I use these while doing longer exposures during the day while chasing storms for lightning photography.

Also watch your ISO. Try pushing it to 800 and see if you can get a good meter. Better to have some noise and reduce later in PS, than to have too much light thats unfixable.
Push it to 800 to get a slow shutter and not over expose? I would think the opposite, reduce ISO as low as possible.

I haven't tried to shoot a waterfall (yet). I have a min. aperture of 13.6 and at ISO 64, I think that still gets me up in the hundredths of a second in shutter speed if I want to not over expose on a sunny day.

If you have the shutter open for a long time (in the realm of several seconds) you are going to be getting lots of light coming in. To correct for this and prevent over exposing the image you need to limi9t that light in other ways. You can close the aperture (use a higher f number), you can lower the ISO as far as you can and you can use a neutral density filter (a polariser will also reduce the amount of light).

The Shutter speed, aperture and ISO tutorial in my signature goes into detail about how the different aspects of exposure are connected together.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back