Question about Hasselblad A12 back original model

Lourie Zipf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I just purchased a Hasselblad A12 back with the window. The first roll, I loaded was just fine. Counter showed 1, etc. The next roll of film, the counter did not show number one on the A12 back. I definitely loaded the film correctly. Anyway, I ended going clear to the end and loaded the fim completely onto the takeup spool. How can I save the fim? It wasn't exposed. Do I just reverse it and load it on to another spool? Disappointed that this A12 back's counter isn't working. I was told it was in excellent condition. Still learning about the Hasselblad and any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you so much. This helps a lot. I didn't try and re-roll that film...so glad I waited for your response. I had another A12 back do the same thing. This one does not have the window. I wss able to "guestimate" the 1st exposure and shot a roll of film through it, but the counter stopped working. So, I bought this 2nd one, and the same thing is happening! I don't have much luck with the counter. I live in CO and there is a guy about an hour away who works on Hasselblads, so he can look at them for me. You seem very knowledgeable and thanks again. I love these old film cameras...even bought a couple of Tessina subminiatures and have shot some film with them. But, I'm finding that they're just as fickle as my Hasselblad. Thanks again.

I know, it is very strange. And I've been loading the film correctly. I had a Hasselblad 500C/M 20 years ago and had no problems with the back. I took this picture of my cat back then. Not a very good scan...did this with a phone app. Had to sell the Hasselblad and flatbed scanner when the recession hit. Bought a Hasselblad 500C about 6 months ago and shot this picture of this old theater in Estes Park, CO. I love these cameras. Do you have any experience with subminiatures? Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_143808_830.jpg
    IMG_20200725_143808_830.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200422_113228.jpg
    20200422_113228.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 92
I too shot with Blad's for over 25 years and never had a frame counter go south. Good info from @gk fotografie but I will also add, the film insert has a sticker with the last three digits of the serial number of the film back. They are custom calibrated in the factory before they are packed up for distribution and one should never mix inserts with backs, they need to match for proper function.

- Are you removing the back from the camera and loading the film, then winding it to the stop indicator at frame 1 then attaching it to the camera?
- The small window in @gk fotografie's Photo 2 to the right and slightly above the frame counter will turn red when the camera shutter is released. There is a small window on the camera body that will also turn red. Make sure the two windows are identical before you advance the camera to take the next frame. If the film back is white and the camera is red, you will be advancing the film between the frame indicators IIRC.

Last edited:
Thanks...yes, I'm removing the back when loading the film. Trying to do everything correctly. I'm going to have someone look at the back. Didn't have any problems with the Hasselblad that I owned 20 years ago. Thanks again to both of you for your posts. Will get it figured out.

Most reactions

Back