Question about Nikon 50mm AF F1.4D lens (purchasing)

dezignx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing the 50mm lens for portraits...

My question is....is there like different versions of the 50mm AF 1.4 lens?

I came across an ad on craigslist and the man is selling Nikon 50mm AF F1.4D lens for $285 brand new....

But, when I was looking on ebay I also see like G too. So, I am trying to see if there is a difference and if so, what version of the 50mm AF 1.4 lens will be better for portraits.

Thanks

hmmmm.....to my understanding the "G" is the newer lens model?

(It's an AF-D lens, a G series, and it uses AF-S style focusing)

There are many varients of the 50mm, however...more specifically in your case....

There are two main versions of the 50mm f1.4, the AF-D version, and the AF-S version.

AF-D:
-has aperture ring
-uses screw-type focusing, in camera, not lens.
-older style

AF-S:
-no aperture ring (coded "G" by nikon)
-in-lens motor

Both are awesome for portraits, I'd recommend the AF-D if you have a D50 or higher since AF speed won't matter with portraits.

I have the 50 AF f1.4D and I can't be any happier with it. The newer version (1.4G) is much more expensive and the $$ difference is impossible to justify. Optically they are essentially the same lens –at least that's what the tests say.

The regular price of the 1.4D is about $350, so $285 is a great deal. However, buying it off Craigslist you'd be forfeiting the warranty. Why don't you buy the gray-market option from Adorama instead? It's $320, so you'd be saving some money while still having the warranty (albeit honoured by Adorama, not Nikon directly).

Just my 2 cents.

I have the 50 AF f1.4D and I can't be any happier with it. The newer version (1.4G) is much more expensive and the $$ difference is impossible to justify. Optically they are essentially the same lens –at least that's what the tests say.

It's not that 'impossible' to justify. Yea they may both be 1.4, but you are the first person that I've seen to say they are 'identical' optically. The 1.4G is a whole new lens, built from the ground up. It's most definitely different enough to invest the extra hundred or so dollars. At 1.4 both lenses are quite smooth...however, take them to 2.8 or above and the 1.4G takes the lead with it's simply amazing sharpness and color.

This is not to take away from the 1.4D...if you are on budget it's still an amazing lens.

I also think the 1.4G isn't that much more expensive.

It's not that 'impossible' to justify. Yea they may both be 1.4, but you are the first person that I've seen to say they are 'identical' optically.
Before buying my lens I did quite a bit of research on both models. Like I said in my post, it's not me but the tests out there that say that they are optically on the same league. Right now the only test that comes to mind with these results are those of Photozone.

When I said "it's impossible to justify", it was just my opinion of course.

Thanx....I am weighing the options once again but I don't think the G is that much more expensive...maybe $100 more guessing.....but whichever version I will try to buy it new or something with a warranty

Most reactions

New Topics

Back