Question About Old Lenses Compatibility

djlen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a couple of old Canon cameras that really are not much use any longer. However I also
have a few really nice bayonet mount lenses that I interchanged on them.
My question is do the new digital Canon's out currently accept (are they compatible with) the old
bayonet mounted lenses?
Hopefully this will not sound too ridiculous or noob to you camera people out there:er:.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Regards,
Len

Nope. Crop sensor Canon can only take EF and EF-S lenses. Full frame Canon can only take EF.

You might be able to buy an adapter for a certain lens but you will make it slower and probably lose infinity.

Wow, thank you for the quick response. Sorry to hear that news. They are nice lenses and I'll probably never be able to use them again.

Regards,
Len

Wow, thank you for the quick response. Sorry to hear that news. They are nice lenses and I'll probably never be able to use them again.

Regards,
Len

Shoot a few rolls of film each month through them and give them some life!

Remember...with a simple lens reversing ring, you CAN use the lens's filter attachment threads, and reverse-mount lenses to do very close-up, macro-type shots!!! That's a pretty good use for something like an old Canon FD-mont 50mm f/1.8 or whatnot.

A wide-angle, like say a 24mm FD mount lens, could also be mounted in reverse on the front of an EF lens like say a 200mm or a 135mm foal length, and some very HIGH-magnification macro pictures made with the two lenses! So...there might be a few uses for those old lenses after all!!!

If using adapters etc. is going to affect picture quality I'd just as soon pass and just cut my losses and buy a new camera.
Then get the wide angle and telephoto/macro lenses that are made for it.
Thoughts?

And thank you all so much for all the help. I'm going to have to learn all over again about this digital stuff. :(

Regards,
Len

Yeah...a BRAND-NEW digital SLR,like a Canon T3i or Canon EOS 60D or Nikon D3200 or D5200 or Nikon D7000, would be really,really sweet!!! A 17-50mm f/2.8 lens from Sigma or Tamron would be nice for all-around indoor use at parties and holidays. A really GOOD flash unit these days is pretty expensive...approaching or exceeding $500 from Canon or Nikon...but there are lower-cost, lower-technology flash units available in the $250 price range, as well as lower-priced, pretty low-tech, middlling-qiality Chinese-made flashes available.

These days, 55-200mm or 55-250mm image stabilized (Canon's "IS") or vibration reduction lenses (Nikon's "VR" lenses) tele-zoom lenses are often sold at a $100 discount when bought with a "qualifying d-slr" outfit.

Yeah...this is a great time to get back into the photo thing!!! Enjoy it Len!

The other possibily is to get a mirrorless camera, such as an Olympus "Micro-43" camera, Sony NEX, and others. Adapters are available to use Canon FD lenses on these cameras. The Sony NEX line offers 1.5x crop, similar to the entry level Nikon and Canon cameras. The Olympus has a 2x crop factor. I have adapters to use Leica, Nikon, Canon FD/FL, Pentax, and Konica lenses on the Olympus.

4BD838D6E06E4F9D9A2211E151CA737C.jpg

Rather than simply 'writing off' your old film camera and lenses, the relatively low cost of FD mount to EF mount adapters would definitely be worthwhile, in my book. From what I've read, some adapters lose some image quality (if glass in the adapter), an f-stop, or the ability to focus at infinity. In all cases, focus and aperture settings will have to be manually done.

And, for what it's worth, some of the FD and FL series lenses DO have a good resale value, should you go that route.

bratkinson, that's probably the route I will go. See if I can find some interest in the old equip. and move into the digital age...lol

Someone mentioned flashes and at the risk of sounding noobish here, are the built in flashes that come with these cameras that inadequate that
I'll need to buy a separate flash?

Regards,
Len

Most reactions

Back