Question about prime lenses.

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have tried googling this question and only found comparisons and other sorts, nothing helpful. I have seen the G and D after the 1.4 or 1.8. Anyone care to explain this to me? Thanks.

The two designations bear no relation to one another other than they appear on Nikon lenses.

G: this designates a lens that has only electronic meter coupling and f/stop control. These lenses lack a conventional f/stop ring and all mechanical meter coupling. They can only be used on those modern bodies that do not rely on mechanical meter coupling and provide their own method of controlling the f/stop.

AF-D: There is no "D" designation without the "AF-". AF-D lenses provide basic AF functions plus additional distance data. Also, AF-D lenses only autofocus on bodies that have their own AF motor since these lenses lack a built-in motor.

The two designations bear no relation to one another other than they appear on Nikon lenses.

G: this designates a lens that has only electronic meter coupling and f/stop control. These lenses lack a conventional f/stop ring and all mechanical meter coupling. They can only be used on those modern bodies that do not rely on mechanical meter coupling and provide their own method of controlling the f/stop.

AF-D: There is no "D" designation without the "AF-". AF-D lenses provide basic AF functions plus additional distance data. Also, AF-D lenses only autofocus on bodies that have their own AF motor since these lenses lack a built-in motor.

So which would you consider "better"?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back