Question about spots on shutter blades - Rolleicord Va

douglashill62

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

There are spots on the shutter blades on a Rolleicord Va I'm interested in purchasing. The seller notes that the spots are mostly likely remnants of vaporized oil residue. The seller states the shutter functions at all speeds without issue and the spots are merely cosmetic in nature.

Can anyone help identify these spots? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thank you!
IMG-2149.jpg
IMG-2147.jpg

Is it a really low/great price?
Anything on the shutter can affect it. I don't think "vaporized oil" looks like that ... though I could be wrong.
Sure the shutter speeds may work but may not be accurate, many sellers do not know how to actually verify if camera mechanics are actually working properly so you may need to get an CLA which will be additional costs.
You will have to verify if they are honest/accurate sellers.

Is it a really low/great price?
Anything on the shutter can affect it. I don't think "vaporized oil" looks like that ... though I could be wrong.
Sure the shutter speeds may work but may not be accurate, many sellers do not know how to actually verify if camera mechanics are actually working properly so you may need to get an CLA which will be additional costs.
You will have to verify if they are honest/accurate sellers.

Thanks for the reply! The camera is $350 although the seller said he'd go as low as $300.

The seller said all speeds were verified against an app that measures acoustics, not sure how that's done. The camera has also been film tested at various speeds with no issues according to the seller.

Their reputation seems pretty solid from what I can tell and they also offer free returns (no warranty, but that's to be expected).

Ah, sounds like they have a photo plug
Photo-Sensor for testing shutter-speeds with the iPhone
OK, gatta give some credit to them that they actually try to verify shutter speeds with a device and state it has been film tested.

A quick check on eBay ... $350 seems high unless it is perfect.
Verify their return policy.

Ah, sounds like they have a photo plug
Photo-Sensor for testing shutter-speeds with the iPhone
OK, gatta give some credit to them that they actually try to verify shutter speeds with a device and state it has been film tested.

A quick check on eBay ... $350 seems high unless it is perfect.
Verify their return policy.

Thanks for the link, very cool bit of info! And yes, after doing more research it does seem high. Thank you for your help!

Acoustics is not the most accurate way of measuring shutter timing ... but better than nothing.

Pass, looks like fungus or oil spots that were cleaned and the remnants of corrosion left their mark.

It’s rare to find a Rolleicord that’s not clapped out. Balance the cost of repair, plus cost of camera vs. a Mamiya TLR 220 or 330.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most reactions

New Topics

Back