Question about step up rings...

DannyB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any adverse effect in having too large a step, say 52mm to 58mm?

I am going to order a 50mm 1.8D from BH in the next couple of minutes and I was wondering about filters. I plan on buying a 52mm UV protector with the lens but also wondering about the step up. Thanks!!

Is there any adverse effect in having too large a step, say 52mm to 58mm?

I am going to order a 50mm 1.8D from BH in the next couple of minutes and I was wondering about filters. I plan on buying a 52mm UV protector with the lens but also wondering about the step up. Thanks!!
52 -> 58mm won't be a problem. Generally going larger is fine, but there comes a point when the "ledge" that the larger filter makes on the end of your lens becomes a hazard. I wouldn't go say, 52 -> 67 for instance.

Nice, sounds good and thanks for the reply! I was wondering about getting some glare/flare from going too big but a hood can solve that issue. Which brings up another question...A cheap rubber hood fit for a 58mm would work fine for what i need right or should I look for something else?

If you have other lenses that have a larger filter diameter, I would certainly suggest a step up ring for the 50mm. If you are going to get a UV filter, you might as well get a bigger one, also, buy a larger lens cap. Then you can leave the step up ring on the lens at all times.

I went ahead and ordered the rings with the lens :)

Probably too late now, but this is the lens hood for your Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

Congrats, btw

Probably too late now, but this is the lens hood for your Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

Congrats, btw

Thanks for the link :) But if I am using a 52-58 step up ring and filters, wouldnt I need a hood to fit the 58mm?

No, in that case a lens hood would not work with the step up ring in place, I don't think, at least not properly. However, if you are not using the step up ring, the hood will work on your 50mm lens. If you're buying the 52mm UV filter for the 50mm lens, might as well get the hood for $15. Just my 2¢.

Just out of curiosity, you DO have a lens with a 58mm filter ring, yes?

I already have lenses of 55mm and 58mm. I'll pick up a hood as well, can't hurt to have it for the price.

Most reactions

Back