question about website

biancarose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadylittleroad.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a question for anyone who would care to answer. I am starting a website, and I am on the fence about how I am displaying my online portfolio. At the moment I have a slideshow from smug mug. I am on the fence over this.

My website is www.shadylittleroad.com if someone or anyone could give me some constrcutive critism, I would really appreciate it. And, I would gladly return the favor.

My only suggestion would be to have smaller thumbnails on your home page to your galleries, and put some information about you and your business on the home page.
Slide shows can work well, but as with anything else it is a personal preference. Some people don't like waiting on the slide show, or having to fast forward one, and would rather see a page of thumbnails so they can click on the photos they want to see. In short there is no way to please everyone. You have some good work on there by the way.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice.

I am having an aweful time trying to please everyone. Some want thumbnails, some want a slide show

I think if you want to be taken seriously then you need to have a serious designer build you a custom site. This way its professional and built the way you want it.

Edit: Here's some quick criticism:

You need some kind of logo/branding, your site just seems like its lacking. The blue links under your title get lost, I didnt even notice them on first glance. I think all your images are a little small...it makes it hard to see the detail/quality in them. In the portraits section you have a thing saying "Portraits Coming Soon" which I find confusing and you also have one for Families too, but I would just get rid of both of these, theres no point posting anything when you have nothing to post.

I would just go to as many photo sites as I could before my eyes crossed, and navigate them, and see what you think works best and maybe model off of them. You will never please everyone, so just go by works best for you.

When you have a website of your personal business it should represent you and the work you would like to present your prospective clients. Something you feel comfortable with, and will provide most clients a easier transition when meeting and later on working with you. Here is a very simple suggestion, do what your intent on doing which clearly is photography and consult a professional in the development and presentation of you work online. If you wish to continue the DIY [slides if you wish] make a small composition venue shots so they can see your versatilely, then separate into your different avenues of work. BTW (black background seem overwhelming)

p.s. this is your business?... you and your clients should be the only ones you aim to please.

Agreed on the above points. Not a fan of the layout. It feels like a depository for your photography instead of a web-portal for your business (whose sole function should be to DRIVE business). I would either take some classes on FLASH website building, or have someone make it for you.

thanks for all of the advice guys. I really do appreciate all that you say. I never even thought about the harsh black background, and that is something I can probably change right away. I also didnt think about how hard the menu on top was to read. Thank you for pointing that out. I love having a fresh view because I ask my friends and they are like "looks good" LOL

I cant really affort a professional at the moment to build a site, but I now have some ideas of what to do to change.

I actually found something that might help you. It's a simple photoshop script that I accidently discovered yesterday that creates a professional flash slideshow complete with thumbnails at the click of a button. Its called simple viewer and a lot of pros use it. Here's the page, check it out.

Creating a SimpleViewer gallery with Photoshop

Goodluck!

You're welcome, thought it was a nice little tool. The best way I can tell you to get this on your site would be to use html coding to embed the file. You could probably google "How to embed a swf file" and find some decent answers.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did a makeover on my site. If you wanna go back and see the changes and give any new advise please do.

You all rock!

Most reactions

Back