question about what DSLR to get?

abuccanero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering what is a good camera to get for around $500 to $600?

I am mostly looking for a Nikon or Canon.

I sold my D70 awhile ago to help pay for school and now I am wanting to get back into photography. I like taking a varity of pictures from sports to macro pictures.

Would it be worth getting a D70 again because I liked that camera or is there new DSLRs now that would be a better investment?

Thanks for the help.

Do you still have any Nikon/Nikkor lenses or did you sell those too?

hello All Happy Fathers Day!!
I need some help. I am looking to buy an Digital SLR Camera. Currently looking at Canon T1I or Canon XS Rebel I think those are the names. This is what I would like to do any suggestions would be good.
I would like to take pictures of my twin girls Really good pictures and be able to send them on the web and friends.
I love going to sporting events. not sure if it is possible or something that would be out of my range.
Ideally I would like to take clear pictures of someone sitting on the other side of the field. not stalking anyone but I like take pictures of fans when we score. Jut thought anything could be possible. Someone told me it may not be because of holding the camera steady. So I think some come with shake lens?
Please let me know. I would like to stay below $700.00 so a used camera would be fine.
Thanks in advance and happy fathers day.
Tony
:mrgreen:

I know a guy selling a D90 with Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF lens for 400.

That sounds cheap but I havent heard much good or bad about the D90.

Does that sound worth it?

I know a guy selling a D90 with Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF lens for 400.

That sounds cheap but I havent heard much good or bad about the D90.

Does that sound worth it?

Worth it? If it's legit it's a steal... I'd be very suspicious.

OH man I feel stupid. That is what I thought to but then he was like... I mean N90. now it makes since.

I was very excited at first.

I need some help. I am looking to buy an Digital SLR Camera. Currently looking at Canon T1I or Canon XS Rebel I think those are the names. This is what I would like to do any suggestions would be good.
I would like to take pictures of my twin girls Really good pictures and be able to send them on the web and friends.
I love going to sporting events. not sure if it is possible or something that would be out of my range.
Ideally I would like to take clear pictures of someone sitting on the other side of the field. not stalking anyone but I like take pictures of fans when we score. Jut thought anything could be possible. Someone told me it may not be because of holding the camera steady. So I think some come with shake lens?
Please let me know. I would like to stay below $700.00 so a used camera would be fine.
Tony
I think you should start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

thanks samanax.

Is it worth upgrading to a D80 or D90 instead of a D70. I have been reading up on them all day and wasnt sure if the difference from 6 MP to 10 or 12 MP is worth the extra money? other than that I couldnt find much differences between them that meant much to me considering I dont know alot about photography right now.

Tony
Tony, hate to tell you, but just an ok lens to take 'pictures of someone sitting on the other side of the field' would start at nearly $700 if you shoot in the daytime and about $4500 (alas, not a typo) if you want to do that at night. Night time, or low light (like a basketball court), sports photography lenses are some of the most expensive.

Lenses don't depreciate anything like camera bodies do either.

There is a huge difference between a Canon XS (entry level camera, $550 new with basic kit lens)and the T1i (high end entry level, $850 new with the same basic kit lens). The T1i is a new to the market camera so there won't be to many used ones. There should be a bunch of 1000D'.

And, I agree, the way you jumped in was, ahhhhhhh, a poor decision.

Welcome to the world of DSLR photography. It's fun.

Tony

Way to Hijack! ;)

Anyway, here's what I think you should do. For what you tell us, a DSLR+lens for under $700 wont get you what you want. And if its only to send photos to family and friends the XS and T1i are WAY more then you need. The quality you get with $700 will suck anyway (trust me.. I have it..) Besides, it seems that your just wanting to get causal snapshots, so my advice is to forget about the DSLR and get a good bridge camera. Many of which have superzoom and Image stabilization. You'll get what you want for under $700. Infact, $400. Check this out: Nikon - Coolpix 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - P90

Now if you actually want to get into photography as a hobby, then check out the older Canon Rebel series. (XT, XTi, maybe even XSi) But be ready to pay more then $700 for a good lens to get those across the field shots.

To the OP, I fell I should post something for you as well but unfortuneatly I cant help much with your question, though I suppose you could take my above advise and look for an older Canon Rebel? Used, those should be fairly cheap which will allow you to get some good starting lenses.

OH man I feel stupid. That is what I thought to but then he was like... I mean N90. now it makes since.

I was very excited at first.

Even the 80-200mm f/2.8 lens for $400 is a very good price.

I was wondering what is a good camera to get for around $500 to $600?

I am mostly looking for a Nikon or Canon.

I sold my D70 awhile ago to help pay for school and now I am wanting to get back into photography. I like taking a varity of pictures from sports to macro pictures.

Would it be worth getting a D70 again because I liked that camera or is there new DSLRs now that would be a better investment?

Thanks for the help.
Sorry I didn't mean to steal your thunder..
The devil made me do i. Actually I didn't know what I was doing ..
Good luck with your search and thank you all for your advice. See you on the other side..
If I get the right lense..

Here's what you need to do.

Go to DpReview and look at the reviews of each model starting with D70(s) then D80, then D90. Each review should tell you what advantages it has over it's predecessor. Then after reading all three reviews you can decide which features are worth the extra money to you. I had a D70s and loved it. There are about 3 features which made me upgrade to the D90...to me they were features worth the money...to you they may not be.

Wouldn't kill anybody to do a little research about the products they are hoping to buy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back