Question about working with models under 18

michaelpatano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you need parental permission to do either video or photography with models under 18.

If so, why is this needed, and what specifically is needed legally (i.e voice permission, signature, be there in person), etc.

michaelpatano said:
Do you need parental permission to do either video or photography with models under 18.

If so, why is this needed, and what specifically is needed legally (i.e voice permission, signature, be there in person), etc.
It depends on where you live. Even each state will have different laws. Most places require permission from the parents as the subjects are still minors. Even if your area doesn't require a written model release, it's always wise to get one.

Do you know where I could find that information out? I personally live in Portland, Oregon, but the models I am thinking of working with all reside in Seattle, Washington.

thanks again,
[email protected]

Yay, another Portlander! :cheer:

I don't really know anything about this, but I would certainly think that signed parental permission should be done. You should have model releases, but minors cannot sign contracts, therefore the parents must sign, right?

I have seen this question asked else where and the general advice is to always, always have a parent or guardian there at all times.

I would get a signiture better safe then sorry you can down load froms just search model release form.

I Moved from Portland a Year and a half ago, lived there for 5 years. I miss that place :(

You don't need any permission to video or photograph anyone. You do need permission to publish or display those photos though 8) .

Remeber, anyone under 18 can't be bound to a contract...so any release must be signed by the parent to hold up.

Most reactions

Back