Question: Does this follow rule of thirds??

danvw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Thanks in advance

We need to wait for those to come round who REALLY know about these things (I don't), but my immediate response/impression is that, no, it misses that "Rule" of Thirds. Not so much the placement of the (inclined) horizon line, but more the line produced by the outward edge of the car. Tyre, wing mirror ... they are all almost dividing the photo in two halves. One half: car. Other half: background. Said background offers you three "planes": grass, corn (whichever kind), sky. That much is ok (only needs to be aligned). But there is too much car there to meet the requirements of the "Rule" of Thirds. And my eyes keep wandering to that discarded plastic bag/paper bag resting on the edge of the field there...

But hey. Let's still wait for those who REALLY know about it, shall we?

To help answer your question I am showing you your image with the rule of thirds overlaid. You can see for your self if the rule looks like it is being followed. Remember, you don't always have to follow the rule of thirds. ;)

I see you don't want your images edited, I didn't consider this an edit but I will remove it if you like.

Thirds.jpg

Yeah, the car splits the pic in half horizontally almost to the pixel!...that was probably intentional

but this the type of thing that may or may not look better following the rule of thirds, right? It's an aesthetic judgment call.

If the image works, it works whether it follows the RoT or not. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work whether it follows the RoT or not.

I don't know about the rule of thirds, but this appears to me to be a mid 80's VW. I'd really like to see more photos of the car!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back