How do you take more shots of people?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live out in the sticks and although nature and wildlife shots are plentiful, I rarely get the chance to shoot a person (my real passion). How can I plug into people shots more?

There was a lady at work showing off her kid's senior photos. I told her I was a photographer and that I'd be happy to take some shots of her kid just as long as she also went to a professional to get her real senior shots. I told her I'm not stealing anyone else's work, and my shots aren't good enough for her to rely on singly, but that I could supplement her professional shots with just some more options. She sounded interested, but hasn't said anything else.

Anyway, was this cool? Should I keep nosing into places asking to take shots of people? I really want to do it, even for selfish reasons. I just don't know how to get some models to wanna pose for me.

Family and friends are your greatest asset as far as practice subjects goes. Biuld a portfolio so you have some thing to show to the people you ask. Friends and family will be willing to help long before the random person on the street or at work would.

No I have no true desire to be a people photographer but, despitet that I do want to have experience in that aspect of photography. Enough experience to say I can hold my own so to speak. I asked both My GF and my grandmother to allow me to photograph them...Well as you prolly saw, it did not take a whole lot of convincing.

Make friends.

Find models that also live in the sticks.

Kidnapping*

*NOTICE - In some states, kidnapping may be frowned upon unless it's imediate family or cousins. Poster takes no responsibility for legal penalties that may result from following said advice.

Village Idiot, Village Idiot. Some of your suggestions here ... tsk-tsk-tsk ;). (But hey: good thing about the disclaimer! :D ).

Señor Hound - I know about your problems.
It is not easy to find people who want some no-name take their photos, least of all in the boonies. You need to be self-assured, self-confident, a good businessperson, set up shop, fill it with the only good photos you have ever taken in your life, get the light set up, and thus be the only "real photographer" in the near and the far. THEN people will even hire you for (totally uninspired) wedding photos and pay A LOT OF MONEY for them (and possibly comment on how good they are). Other than that ... it will have to be your mom, aunt, grandpa, sister (daughter for me), and maybe sometimes also friends ... but you won't find anyone else letting you take their photo... At least that is my story (including that of "the only photographer in the near and the far" who is NOT ME).

BUT ...aspiring/broke musicians/models/actors are often VERY happy to work with a less than famous photographer-and if they meet with success..you have the shots.

For example.my friend started a clothing line,after her designs were admired,and has been after my Bro,canon guy,to take pics of her...I think he really WILL shoot her soon,if she keeps bugging him all the time....but he has a model he can call on,pretty much anytime,results are rather good,-they both got what they wanted.

My grandfather use to live in the middle of nowhere go to the grocery store or a super market and kust take pictures of random ppl...might ask first. my grandfather use to do this....but back then i dont think ppl really cared...haha

I did this only once, but am thinking about trying it some more. I was walking around a park and this little kid was splashing in the water while his mom and grandma were "out" of the picture. I snapped a shot. They didn't know I did, so I went over to them and told them. I said that I would email them a copy of the picture. They were fine with that.

They got a free portrait and I got to practice taking pictures of people.

Have a baby??

Ever since my son was born that's 99% of all I have time to shoot now a days. Its a joy but I miss shooting other things...

How about put an ad in the local paper?

i live in a small town.. while I do have the advantage of a skate park in my town, sometimes I do get board of the same skate shots (theres not to many really good skaters here) so I will just walk around town.. theres usually some people down by the market, and I just take their pictures... no one has said anything to me yet.. they do get slightly taken back... you all know that look.. the "did he just take my picture" look.. when I get that look, i just tell them I'm practicing.. but as I said, I've never had a person object...people tend to think i'm just one of the local paper photographers... they always seem to be around taking pictures with their crappy P&S cameras.. so its not a shock to see someone in my town taking pictures..

Village Idiot, Village Idiot. Some of your suggestions here ... tsk-tsk-tsk ;). (But hey: good thing about the disclaimer! :D ).

Señor Hound - I know about your problems.
It is not easy to find people who want some no-name take their photos, least of all in the boonies. You need to be self-assured, self-confident, a good businessperson, set up shop, fill it with the only good photos you have ever taken in your life, get the light set up, and thus be the only "real photographer" in the near and the far. THEN people will even hire you for (totally uninspired) wedding photos and pay A LOT OF MONEY for them (and possibly comment on how good they are). Other than that ... it will have to be your mom, aunt, grandpa, sister (daughter for me), and maybe sometimes also friends ... but you won't find anyone else letting you take their photo... At least that is my story (including that of "the only photographer in the near and the far" who is NOT ME).

I thought you didn't like disclaimers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back