Question for a friend

fdrotary

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got into photography when i came to Afghanistan and I was talking to a older man who use to shoot film but quit, when he saw my little bit of gear, 50d, 50mm f/1.4, and 70-300 he really got interested in digital photography and now wants to buy a d-slr.

His beginning budget is 1,000. Right now he is looking at the Nikon D40 body, he is going to be shooting family stuff in America and landscape stuff over here in Afghanistan. Also he is factoring a bag, and memory card into his 1,000.

Anyone have any lens suggestions or diff body Canon or Nikon either one. I know that is a tight budget but he said just one lens and take some good pics of his nieces and his wife will understand the investment and his budget will increase.

I have a Nikon D60 with kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G), 55-200mm f/4-5.6G, and 35mm f/1.8G and altogether they cost just a tad over $1,000. Although I did get the D60 kit on sale, but you could still keep it under $1,000 if you leave out the 55-200mm lens. The D60 kit is about $600 and the 35mm lens is about $200. Memory cards aren't all that expensive. SanDisk has a 16GB for about $60. As for bags, I don't know much about them, so I can't help you there.

His beginning budget is 1,000. ...

"1,000" what? US Dollars? Euros? Pounds Sterling?...

Assuming you mean USD, I'd vote for the D60 over a D40 primarily for the sensor dust elimination system. In addition it has a better kit lens that has VR and has a higher resolution sensor.

If you're looking at entry level DSLRs you might want to consider the Canon XS, XSi or T1i since they won't have auto-focus issues like the entry level Nikons. Read this thread for more info.

Which doesn't matter all that much, depending on what lens you plan on buying. Almost all the new ones are AF-S lenses, and I would assume that this will only continue. So, unless you have a serious need for older non AF-S lenses, than I would definitely go with the D60 is the budget is strictly $1000. I would look at the 35mm f1.8 if you can find it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back