Question for Lightroom Experts

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there just dropping in for one question :),
I do a lot of batched photos and usually delete a massive amount of them in LR, but the problem is, when I export them i would have deleted half of the photos from the original pics, and I’m left with all these useless photos that i dont need. SO is there a way to export them in a file, with the original and edited photos in one file?
As if you want more additional info...

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Are you trying to export the original picture and the changed version in one file to be used separately outside your Lightroom catalogue?
I believe you can achieve this by exporting as a DNG.

Or do you want the original and the modified version, then just export twice.

I don't quite understand why you're left with useless photos? Just delete the original rejects. If you delete from Lightroom it asks you if you want to remove them from the catalogue or delete them from the disk.

It sounds like you want the unwanted photos completely gone...erased forever...in the bit bucket. If so, when deleting them in LR, click the 'delete on disk' box in the popup delete window. It'll be gone forever. Well, out of the folder it was in. You may have other copies available, depending on your workflow.

As far as keeping the exported pictures and the originals in one file (folder, in Windows-eese), you can either keep the same name but use a different file type (dng, jpg, or whatever), or, you can assign new names in the export popup.

The difficulty with exporting to the same folder but with the same name becomes problematic if you are starting with JPGs as you may want the outputs as JPGs, too. It won't work. Starting with RAW, on the other hand, there's no problem differentiating between the original .cr2 files and .jpg in the same folder.

I typically rename my output pictures to something with a descriptive title and have LR auto-number them starting at 1. Trying to figure out what 7X5A6381.jpg is 10 years from now, or even 10 minutes from now using my system would be impossible. So I give them descriptive, numbered names like 'Family Christmas 2012-nnn' or something like that. In my workflow, I export them to a separate folder as well, to facilitate my '2nd pass' processing using Photoshop Elements for some of the features I prefer there...especially preset cropping proportions. My finished PSE "masterpieces" go to yet a different folder, again to keep individual step-by-step recoverability/re-do-ability.

Regardless of output choice, the bigger issue becomes the Lightroom cataloguing system. I choose not to use it, so I can't address how that works. I use individual, descriptively named, hierarchically structured folders, perhaps 4 or more levels deep to catalog and store my pictures. That way, I can go 'back' to any stage or processing and do it again, if I so choose. It's extremely doubtful I ever will. I even go so far as to delete the catalog files actually created by LR as it's very unlikely I would ever LR the photographs again. PSE again, possibly, but very doubtful unless I wanted some different crops (on request from the individuals).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back