Question for my American friends

smyth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folks,

I have a question to ask you, as I will be visiting your country here in a few days. I will be traveling to Florida (Orlando specifically), and intend on purchasing a tripod, as they are much cheaper than here in Canada. (not to mention I won't end up having to pay duties or taxes :D) So far, I only know of one store which has the tripod I want, or similar to it. That's Ritz Camera, (which I believe is much criticized from people on this forum, but I digress) but, that's their online store, which is completely separate from their brick and mortar stores. So I guess my question is, does Ritz's website usually reflect what they carry in the store, and/or do you know of any other decent brick and mortar stores to visit.

Thanks,

Alex

p.s. the tripods I'd be looking for are: Bogen/Manfrotto 190xDB, 190xproDB, or 055xDB

Last edited:
...do you know of any other decent stores to visit.
BHphotovideo.com, Adorama.com, focuscamera.com, KEH.com, buydig.com just to name few :)

Sorry, let me clarify, Brick and Mortar stores. I'm going to be in Florida, and I won't be able to have things shipped to me.

Went to Harmon a couple of years ago when we were in Orlando. North of downtown, and about 30 minutes away from Disney, Universal etc. but a good photography shop. Digital cameras - Products - Harmon Photo - Harmon Photo - Digital, Photo Lab, Cameras, Orlando 1323 North Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL‎ - (407) 898-2321‎

Stay away from the ones down near Disney etc. They are all import/knockoff joints. There is a whole slew of them in one entertainment area. Sorry, don't remember the name, but you will know it when you see it. They are among all the T-shirt tourist shops. I believe the area was along International Drive, between Disney and Universal mostly between the 7000 and 8900 blocks. There are some good restaurants in the same area though.

Last edited:
Why don't you call Ritz and see if they can deliver it to the local store for pick-up? Or maybe have it shipped to wherever you will be staying...

You can probably order anything online and have it shipped to the hotel or wherever you are staying.

But then when you think about it, even though a tripod is unlikely to have problems, what if it does? Where are you going to take it for repairs or maintenance? I'd just find a store in Canada that you trust. Spend the money and save the hassle.

But then when you think about it, even though a tripod is unlikely to have problems, what if it does? Where are you going to take it for repairs or maintenance? I'd just find a store in Canada that you trust. Spend the money and save the hassle.

For a $100 difference (half price!), I'll take my chances on a tripod. On a body, or lens, I wouldn't but, for a tripod, yes.

Sbuxo said:
orlando has wal-mart. wal-mart has tripods.

Haha yeh, I already have one of those. The fact that what holds the body in portrait orientation is made completely out of plastic doesn't put my mind at ease.

gryphonslair99 said:
Stay away from the ones down near Disney etc. They are all import/knockoff joints. There is a whole slew of them in one entertainment area. Sorry, don't remember the name, but you will know it when you see it. They are among all the T-shirt tourist shops. I believe the area was along International Drive, between Disney and Universal mostly between the 7000 and 8900 blocks. There are some good restaurants in the same area though.

Ugh, trust me I've seen those places. Sketchy as all get out. Each one of them wants to sell you a D90 for $400. Agreed on the restaurants though

Thanks everyone for your help so far! Very useful!

gryphonslair99 said:

Ugh, trust me I've seen those places. Sketchy as all get out. Each one of them wants to sell you a D90 for $400. Agreed on the restaurants though

Thanks everyone for your help so far! Very useful!

Harmon is a good photography shop and is right off the interstate going north. They had a large selection of tripods and heads when I was there. I found it by chance as the first three days we were staying at the Weston Grand Bohemian Hotel downtown. (Not my kind of place but was where the conference was being held) I am sure there are others, but Harmon was the only one I went too, other than browsing with amusement the rip joints one evening after dinner on International Drive.

FYI if you like oriental food try Ming Court at 9188 International Drive. Outstanding food when we were there last.

Most reactions

Back