Question for Photoshop 7 guru

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm batch automating the sharpening of about 400 files. It opens the file, runs my sharpening action, and then saves the file. normally I'm working with tiff files, and have no problem. Tonight I am working with jpegs, and everytime the file goes to save, at the end of the action, the jpeg quality options box pops up, and I have to click the mouse or enter button. How do I get it to save without me clicking the button?

hobbes28 said:
You have to make a new action using jpegs. That way it will include it in your automated steps.

Cool! Thanks! I knew it had to be simple. :) I was about 50 files into it, and wasn't looking forward to the next 350 clicks.

I did a new action: opened a jpeg, started recording the action (lab color, lightness channel, USM, RGB), and stopped recording the action. Then I set automation to "save and close".

Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using a non-Adobe Raw converter (converted from raw to jpeg at max quality)? Most of these files have never been opened in Adobe, although the file browser, etc... has no problems with them. I don't have this problem when working and saving as a tiff.

If you open the jpeg and just make changes in it, you can just save it as the jpeg without having to adjust the compression I think. You just have to start the action then open, do adjustments, then save (not save as) then if it asks for compression, pick it, click okay, then stop the recording. Try this in a little sample folder first to make sure it doesn't start renaming all your files to the same name, but I'm pretty sure that's the way to do it.

You are always going to be asked for jpg quality, the first time you save a jpg. What you can do is, set a book on the enter key of your keyboard. (The bottom right num pad one) and it will in effect press ok for you everytime the box pops up.

This is a stupid glitch in photoshop that Adobe never addressed.

Well, how I finally solved it was to ditch the jpegs, go back and have the raw converter turn them into tiffs, do my editing, sharpening, etc..., and then I was able to make a batch automation that converts the tiff into a jpg. It's probably better workflow anyway to stick with the tiff as long as possible. I don't know why, but it appears that I can record the jpg quality when I "save as", just not when I "save". :shrug:

I think you could have solved this by adding the save as to the action. Then checked something else in the batch options. But since you worked around it, nevermind, hehe.

Most reactions

Back