Question for the Baby Photographers.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a new backdrop (okay---I want to spend some $$$ :mrgreen:) so I can take some portraits of my 10 month old daughter.

I really like the idea of this one:

Backdrop Alley Hand Painted Muslin Backdrop BAHP12BLPNK B&H

I can picture her sitting in front of it in a diaper with a big teddy bear.

My question is this--what color backgrounds are the best for taking portraits of babies and kids? Do you want something neutral like white/grey/blue or is a more colorful background okay?

Thanks!

I'd say go white or grey. You would probably get some decent usage out of it. Not so much with blue.

Well, in my personal opinion... I HATE the way that muslin backdrops look. They scream "Sears Portrait Studio." But my opinion does not always line up with everyone elses.

That being said, you might actually prefer something more neutral. I like the clean look, subtle lighting of baby photos. What are the colors of the walls in your house? Is there a wall in an unused room that you could paint a soft pastel color?

I love blues because you can turn them to any color very easily. That one, however? It's a little limited use. You're kind of stuck to babies and then accentuating the color according to gender.
I have a muslin a LOT like that only in black... It's more of a tie dye than 'painted' look. I am not really keen on it... It is what it is. It's cheap enough I suppose!

Take a look at bad sass backdrops on their site and look at their FB page. There are bunches of colors and patterns a d ideas and props that the photographers are using and showing off on that FB page that you could go crazy for all that fun stuff!

I have some and the quality is amazing.

That being said, you might actually prefer something more neutral. I like the clean look, subtle lighting of baby photos. What are the colors of the walls in your house? Is there a wall in an unused room that you could paint a soft pastel color?

The walls are 2 shades of yellow and red. The bedrooms are a way too small to do portrait work--it would require moving furniture around. I have the light stands and the white and black muslin backdrop but as I said above, I somehow misplaced the white one.

I get your point on the colorful backdrop looking kinda cheesy. Maybe I'll pick up a solid gray and a marbled color for portraits of my wife.

It's hard to choose when you haven't used them before.

I agree with Tyler, I'm tired of the muslins. I actually dusted off some older canvas backgrounds, one I'm going to repaint. I forgot how nice the canvas is to work with. No wrinkles and they roll up nice and fit nicely in the closet. If I was in your position I would get a nice white mounted vinyl background. You roll it up so no wrinkles, and you can wipe it down after each use to keep it clean ( You can buy this special soap paste, it goes on like polish, but I just use dish washing liquid and water and I think it works better)

With the white, you can light it all different ways including using gels on back lights to get tons of different options. Lemon Drop Stop has all kinds of baby-esque backgrounds popular today including the faux floors. If you like photoshop try Digital Fantasy Backgrounds. They are digital backgrounds you use to replace the white background.

forget about texture, add the texture on the post processing.

That background you selected look like something from 1980s or 90s. If that is the look you are going for then buy it!

Also, it is just a baby. Very tiny. You can just go to a hobby store and buy a big poster size paper. Dont try too hard! Keep it simple!

Also, it is just a baby. Very tiny. You can just go to a hobby store and buy a big poster size paper.

She's 10 months and sitting up on her own. We'd like to get some shots of her sitting up in a diaper along with her huge stuffed teddy bear next to her. For that reason, I was thinking of getting a muslin backdrop that could hang from the pole and drape along the ground where she is sitting. Otherwise, she'll be sitting on a dark brown hardwood floor which is not the look we were going for.

???

What I would do is make a backdrop. I have seen people use diffent types of fabric clamped onto a baseboard so that it looks like a wallpaper or whatever. And then maybe some fake flooring too. I do not like these types of backdrops either. To me they seem dated and tacky. BUT I am no 'photographer' :D. There are so many cute ideas on flickr. Just type something like 'baby set up' or 'baby behind scenes' in the groups search. You will find tons of ideas.

The key to effectively using backdrops, is to know that you can change how they look, by how you light them. You can light them with color gels to change their color, you can light them (or not) to make them brighter (or darker). You can position your background light(s) to give you spots, circular gradients or directional gradients etc.

The key to effectively using backdrops, is to know that you can change how they look, by how you light them. You can light them with color gels to change their color, you can light them (or not) to make them brighter (or darker). You can position your background light(s) to give you spots, circular gradients or directional gradients etc.

Understood, which is why I think some sort of neutral backdrop would work best. I've been officially talked out of the clouds backdrop. :lmao:

I shot this this morning with my 1 month old baby.

this was shot in her bedroom (about 12X10) straight on the floor using a 50mm on a crop body

6832406139_c598a00f3a_o.jpg

here another one i shot this weekend using a 50 in a small bedroom

6832413827_a9eac8804d.jpg

No flash was used, small babies and toddlers doesn't like too much flashes.

Most reactions

Back