Question for those in business, esp those who do it as side work.

beansprouts3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've decided I love photography. LOVE it. But I have *a lot* to learn before I will be ready to take the plunge, so I'm looking down the road a bit. I have a good friend who is also right where I'm at and we're considering collecting equipment to share (lighting, backdrops, etc) and just doing odd jobs by word of mouth to start off. My question is, do those of you who take side jobs have a formal business plan, incorporation, etc., etc., etc.? Something else that complicates the issue is that we may be moving out of state in the next year or two so I am reluctant to start something formally and have to leave it/close it a few months later and start over. Right now I'm in practice/absorb mode. Thanks for any input you have.

Read this book.. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Best-Business-Practices-Photographers-Harrington/dp/1598633155]Amazon.com: Best Business Practices for Photographers: John Harrington: Books[/ame]

:)

I would think that before making a big plunged into full business mode, you both should learn how to take proper pictures and more importantly, learn to see if you can work together.

After doing a few jobs and seeing how things are going, then I would definatly look into being a full business, deciding what type of business, with a plan and so on. Just because you are small doesn't mean you should not have a plan.

I would think that before making a big plunged into full business mode, you both should learn how to take proper pictures and more importantly, learn to see if you can work together.

After doing a few jobs and seeing how things are going, then I would definatly look into being a full business, deciding what type of business, with a plan and so on. Just because you are small doesn't mean you should not have a plan.

Thank you both. I feel like she's closer in the area of taking proper pictures dept. I'm a little more comfortable in the pp dept. I'm nowhere near ready until I get a better handle on my 50mm f/1.4. I LOVE that lens but I still need to get more used to it. Just looking down the road. Thanks!

If you are going to be taking money for your services...you probably need to be a registered business and PAY YOUR TAXES. Check your local city regulations to be sure though.

If you can find a way to get experience, without the risks of being in business...that might be a good way to start. For example, do family & portrait shoots for friends & family. Family weddings might also be a good way to get some experience and portfolio material. Better yet, if you could find a working pro and assist them, you can get some great experience.
What you don't want to do, is take a job that you aren't ready for...and mess it up. For example, covering an event without backup gear would be a dangerous position to be in.

If you are going to be taking money for your services...you probably need to be a registered business and PAY YOUR TAXES. Check your local city regulations to be sure though.

If you can find a way to get experience, without the risks of being in business...that might be a good way to start. For example, do family & portrait shoots for friends & family. Family weddings might also be a good way to get some experience and portfolio material. Better yet, if you could find a working pro and assist them, you can get some great experience.
What you don't want to do, is take a job that you aren't ready for...and mess it up. For example, covering an event without backup gear would be a dangerous position to be in.

Thanks, Big Mike. Those are my exact concerns. I might actually have a few leads on someone I can shadow for a while and gain some valuable knowledge. I took a class recently and I know the instructor shoots weddings and I'd love to offer that as our gift to our niece next summer. Great ideas!

I have an LLC Photography and Design business, it is a side business to my main source of income (which has nothing to do with photography). I can only comment on a sole entity ownership. I obviously call all my own shots, I make all the decisions, etc, so I die by the sword. I am considered a "Professional Photographer", according to the IRS, because I am booked for events, sell images, design posters, collect and pay taxes, etc, etc. I have accumulated over $10,000 in equipment. I got to a point where I thought this hobby needs some payback, so away I went. I can control how much work I take on to fit my schedule. That's my luxury. I get hired to cover sporting events, I dont do what I know I can't handle. I am not at the point where photography can be a full time occupation. I dont know if I ever really want it to be. I have it way too good in my full time job, with benefits, to give that away and become a starving photographer. I also have to think of my wife and 2 kids, so to me, i have a healthy balance. This, is just some of MY benefits of being on my own.

I cannot comment on a partner setup, I think that would be something to hear from existing partner set up successes and failures. That should have an impact on your thought process.

As far as a business plan, I have one, but it is pretty pathetic. Im kind of a "wing it" type of guy. It is highly recommended though, buy business types that any new business have a plan, and if banks and lending institutions are required for set up, it better be iron clad.

I'm not going to tell you what you should do. There are lots of people in this world who take phenominal photographs and their business sense is terrible. Having a successful business is only so much about taking a good picture, its about having good business sense as well. Very few people understand this!

I have an LLC Photography and Design business, it is a side business to my main source of income (which has nothing to do with photography). I can only comment on a sole entity ownership. I obviously call all my own shots, I make all the decisions, etc, so I die by the sword. I am considered a "Professional Photographer", according to the IRS, because I am booked for events, sell images, design posters, collect and pay taxes, etc, etc. I have accumulated over $10,000 in equipment. I got to a point where I thought this hobby needs some payback, so away I went. I can control how much work I take on to fit my schedule. That's my luxury. I get hired to cover sporting events, I dont do what I know I can't handle. I am not at the point where photography can be a full time occupation. I dont know if I ever really want it to be. I have it way too good in my full time job, with benefits, to give that away and become a starving photographer. I also have to think of my wife and 2 kids, so to me, i have a healthy balance. This, is just some of MY benefits of being on my own.

I cannot comment on a partner setup, I think that would be something to hear from existing partner set up successes and failures. That should have an impact on your thought process.

As far as a business plan, I have one, but it is pretty pathetic. Im kind of a "wing it" type of guy. It is highly recommended though, buy business types that any new business have a plan, and if banks and lending institutions are required for set up, it better be iron clad.

I'm not going to tell you what you should do. There are lots of people in this world who take phenominal photographs and their business sense is terrible. Having a successful business is only so much about taking a good picture, its about having good business sense as well. Very few people understand this!

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know. I want to do some side jobs for friends and family to start off, and collect equipment as we get paid, so I'm not thinking a business plan is crucial to a loan at this point in time. I'm hoping not to need one. I'm fortunate in that once we pay off a few small loans, my family will do just fine on my husband's income, and anything I make will be "lens money". :lol: I also think that because we plan to move out of state, it probably makes the most sense to purchase our own equipment and share it rather than to split the cost of equipment. That way when we do move away, there is not a question about who owns what. Thank you all very much!

...it probably makes the most sense to purchase our own equipment and share it rather than to split the cost of equipment. That way when we do move away, there is not a question about who owns what.

Good reasoning.

In your case, I wouldn't worry much about official business practices. Go make some photographs. Have some fun. If you can make a bit of $, and you want to be perfectly honest about it all, report it as income when you file your taxes. Set aside 25% or so to cover this.

A year goes by fast. It'll all be over before you know it.

And stay away from the banks. Pay for whatever you need (equipment and such) as you go along.

-Pete

Good reasoning.

In your case, I wouldn't worry much about official business practices. Go make some photographs. Have some fun. If you can make a bit of $, and you want to be perfectly honest about it all, report it as income when you file your taxes. Set aside 25% or so to cover this.

A year goes by fast. It'll all be over before you know it.

And stay away from the banks. Pay for whatever you need (equipment and such) as you go along.

-Pete

OH Yeah, Let the Church say Amen!!!

Have a try at selling your images on microstock websites!

That's the easiest, most effortless and less risky way of experiencing "the photo-business"

The good thing is that you can sell your photos from all over the world, whenever you want.

For me, microstock is a side job, a very pleasant one.

I personally submit to several microstock websites, from which 123rf is my favourite one.

Should you have a try at microstock, let me know about your experience!:)

Have a try at selling your images on microstock websites!

That's the easiest, most effortless and less risky way of experiencing "the photo-business"

The good thing is that you can sell your photos from all over the world, whenever you want.

For me, microstock is a side job, a very pleasant one.

I personally submit to several microstock websites, from which 123rf is my favourite one.

Should you have a try at microstock, let me know about your experience!:)

And you dug up all the old posts to spam this site, or am I just being suspicious and you have nothing to do with 123rf. H

Hehe, Flash Harry, it was not my intention to advertise any of the microstock agencies.

I have started contributing few months ago and are still very enthusiastic about microstock.

You can have a look on my portfolio: arcona's Portfolio, Royalty Free Photos, Pictures, Images and Stock Photography .

I truly believe that submitting images to microstock websites is a great way to exhibit those images that otherwise would only be stored in one's computer.

One may take artistic photographs that are supposed to be exhibited in a gallery, magazine etc. But besides, every photographer would take pics that are just nice. Some pretty portraits, landscapes that not really fit into your artistic profile. This kind of images can be contributed to a microstock agency.

Most reactions

Back