Question on Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO Settings

DSC01109.jpg

Ok what about this one? The settings are the same as the one above and the flash went off. Why is it so dark?

As a rule of thumb for flash photography, use your native ISO and x-sync speed as a baseline and adjust from there. Soooo, if your lowest normal ISO is ISO 100, use that. If your fastest shutter speed for flash photography is 1/200s, use that. Take a test shot. If you need more background (ambient) light, increase your ISO, slow your shutter speed or open up your lens aperture. The answer will always be adjusting one of the three legs of the exposure triangle.

Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure: Manual
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)

Aperture affects the exposure from the flash ... so I would guess that f/9.0 was not wide enough ... step down to f/3.5 ... and compare.

Thank you! Will work on this some more tomorrow. I could stay up all night playing around and learning this stuff but I'd be no fun to be around at work. Thanks again for the information. Its nice to actually get things broken down sometimes into terms that make sense and not all the photography jibber jabber.

Ok what about this one? The settings are the same as the one above and the flash went off. Why is it so dark?

the dark one had no flash I susect if the flash had fired it would have looked like the third pic posted.
settings for the second pic posted the bright one were -
color representation: sRGB
Flash used: yes
F-number: F/5.6
Exposure time: 1/125 sec

setting on the second differed a bit.
color representation: Uncalibrated
Flash used: yes
F-number: F/9
Exposure time: 1/50 sec

the higher F stop could not compinsate. the F5.6 and 1/125 sec pic came out the best. for the conditions at that time I would say you could go up or down 1 stop and slow or fast sutter to compensate to get the best results.

Any reason you are shooting in manual exposure with flash ??

How to calculate flash exposure with your brain:

Guide Number of Flash = Aperture x Distance to Subject
therefore ... Aperture = Guide Number of Flash / Distance to Subject

The Sony a100 built in flash has a guide number of 40ft @ 100 ISO (80ft @ 400 ISO)

So if your subject is 10ft away and the camera is set to 100 ISO ... the Aperture you use is f/4.0

The shutter speed controls how much ambient light will be picked up. Do not exceed the maximum sync speed of 1/160s.

Most reactions

Back