Question on third-party buying

Je-C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
je-c.smugmug.com
So I was looking at some new DSLRs from Canon and was wondering if anyone has advice for someone when they find a Canon 1Ds, for instance, for $1500 when retail is $6000, or from what I've researched? Anyway, the description says "new in box" and all that, and it's a safe-buy guarantee (any obvious fraud or lost mail will be reimbursed by the website). So, please give me any advice you can on stuff like this... I hesitate as I think it's a scam or something. Again, I'm not looking for cheap-camera websites... I found an expensive camera much cheaper. Thank you.

A $6k camera fro $1.5k? Scam!
It's probably one of those sites where you buy it then either have to phone them to confirm or they phone you. Then they almost force you to buy more stuff which takes you up to the normal sale price or over.

If it looks too good to be true, it is.

Thanks, but the thing is, it's one of the biggest online marketplaces other than E-Bay as far as I'm concerned, and it's the company of the website that does the safe-buy guarantee against fraud from all third party sellers. So even if it was a scam, with the safe-buy guarantee, if it's not the camera, then I'd get my money refunded according to the rules (which I read). Any advice? Only thing I could think of was an E-Mail to the owner, and then printing/saving the E-mail as proof that under all circumstances I was unaware of it being a scam. Oh yeah, happy holidays. :)

I think I found the glitch in how they scam. Like one guy requires a western union money order to a foreign country before he ships. Ha, my butt! The only way the website will cover the amount of the purchase is through the site payment. I will have sent the western union trash, then that'd be it; no camera. Too bad there are so many scammers out there.

you never compare "retail" to street price. Camera manufacturs always have a "retail" price which is living in a fantasy world. they never never ever ever sell photo eqipement at retail prices. Street prices are what they are really selling for. electronics and photo equipment is way to competive for them to even give a retail price.

Now if the street price is 6 grand and they are selling it for 1.5 grand then someone high jacked a shipment LOL

Most reactions

Back