question regarding post processing...

kitkatdubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am beginning to build my portfolio and am wondering about editing photos. i plan on giving 10-20 edited photos to her. my question is, do all the photos from the shoot need to have the same "filter" or editing style? Like for example, I have the totally rad action set... some of the actions are "warm" filters, others are faded, some are really contrasty etc.. s0 what I'm wondering is do they all need to have the same filter and look the same or can i use different filters for each photo? for example, one photo is kind of faded out, and another completely different shot i used a really contrasted filter to bring out the grass etc.... Thanks!

That is completely up to you. Some photographers like to stimulate the customer's desire to own something different, so they will show maybe two processes for the same pose, for instance.

so its okay to have different filters for each photo as it seems fit obviously?

IMHO, running a business is very different than being an artist. Business is about consistency. Your clients come to you for certain things and expect them.

Believe it or not, being consistent is MUCH harder than most people think.

I think some images look best when converted to B&W or sepia tone, or have some type of filter or "look" applied to them. Some images can easily be processed to have different looks applied to them. I use the term look because Kodak's early professional software called them "looks". For example, if you add a fairly coarse, irregular, somewhat large grain pattern to an image that has been converted to B&W, and it has a very long tonal scale with good highlight detail, that could be called a Tri-X Pan B&W "look". Sometimes a faded-color look with negative clarity looks soft,effeminate, delicate...which is at the opposite end of the spectrum of full-color, super-vibrant, hyper-clarity image processing like the masses love on 500px.

The issue is though, if you do each image wildly differently from every other one, then you're not offering a set of images, but a collection of singles...

I think it's good to process an entire session in what I call "realistic color", and then to offer some different looks in a limited palette, but spanning the entire set. Like for example, you have the entire set of 20 done in realistic color, but then have six of the very best poses offered as vintage color images, which look pretty much the same across the subset of six.

But hey...you can offer whatever you really like. I don't think that there is a single right answer on this. There's room for interpretation of photos, and like I said, you will find that some images really might look much better as B&W or sepia-toned images, or with fairly extensive processing that moves them away from the realm of realistic color; I think today, more than at any time prior to this time in history, people are actually ENJOYING seeing different types of filter effects and different "looks" to their images.

You mentioned your portfolio and if you think about it that's samples of your work. Samples often include different looks so the client can choose the look they like and then the photographer can produce the assignment for that client in the look that they like.
Artists typically do it differently. They chose the look that they like and do everything in that look. If the client doesn't like that look they can just go somewhere else.......
Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back