Question??

I am not trying to be mean or nasty but you seem to have the same problem as a lot of people here asking about their first camera (whether it is first camera or first digital camera or first DSLR) and I'm using your thread to maybe reach a few people.

Worry first about the lens. Then the camera.

What kind of photo do you do? What kind do you want to do? and the first question becomes: what is the best lens for me? And by best I mean BEST! Glass is always and always will be more important than the body. Buy the best lens you can and, then, with whatever money you have left, buy a body.

Example: You do mostly portraits. A 50 or a 90 will both do it but a 90 will put a bit more distance between you and your subject and will be more comfortable to work with because you are not in your subject's face.

Zoom vs. prime: zooms are slower (or more expensive if you want a fast one) and they usually are not quite up to par at either end of their spectrum so that you need to overlap them. Meaning don't get a 28-70 and a 70-200 unless you don't mind having that 68-72 gap (or whatever that gap actually is.)

The benefits of a zoom can usually be voided by walking. Get closer or further away from your subject.

Now, if you want the distortion of a wide angle, true, you are not going to get it by walking closer to the subject with your 50.

And that is exactly what I mean by figuring out what it is you want to do, first. And, yes, it might change. But things could change no matter what you buy first.

Sincerely hope that helps.

Yes It truely does help and I am coming around to that fact. If you read in my other post http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-gallery/169662-buying-first-digital-slr.html you will see that I am coming around there too. I am still asking Body questions but now I know to take in the lenses. I am learning slowly for some but learning none the less.

I really do appriciate the info you wrote and the time you spent doing it. I had plan to stop typing in this thread and staying in the other! Please come talk to me over there if you like!

Thanks Again Jeffro

Most reactions

Back