Questioning shutter count

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I originally posted this question in my ongoing thread about my new refurbished D500. I've been very happy with it while learning the new controls and such, so I decided to check the shutter count, I was shocked to find it well past 680,000! Verified by two different shutter count sites.

This is one pic of my backyard patio paver job so far, can anyone else check this shutter count for me, or explain how this could be so high, camera looks to be in brand new condition, thanks.

688116, to be exact!

DSC_0051.JPG

Last edited:
I talked to Nikon USA about this, they basically said that there was nothing they would do about it so long as all is working well...which it is.

factory refurbished? or just given a hand wipe by a ebay vendor?

I bought it from Nikon as refurbished.

For a camera like that, I'm not surprised. It was probably always on a gimbal head shooting in C mode for birds in flight. If it works well, enjoy it.

For a camera like that, I'm not surprised. It was probably always on a gimbal head shooting in C mode for birds in flight. If it works well, enjoy it.
I would imagine your correct sir. I wonder what the average shutter life on a D500 is, and what the cost of a new shutter would be, installed. Obviously, I'm going to use this camera.

well i have always read they estimate a 150,000 expected shutter count on digital cameras. perhaps live view upped it alot?

Also read that they would replace shutters over a certain shot count

This is one pic of my backyard patio paver job so far, can anyone else check this shutter count for me, or explain how this could be so high, camera looks to be in brand new condition, thanks.

Cannot check the shutter count in your image. It is not the original image file from the camera, and is only 2 MB. Your photo editor that saved this edited file eliminated all useful Exif information. But the Exif in your original camera image file (or another one) should have shutter count in it.

Last edited:
Ok I use canon so I don’t know if it’s the same for you
However
If I take a sd card from my old canon with ..Eg a 30k shutter count and don’t format it before I put that card in my newer canon say Eg 3k shutter count
The newer canon will reset the shutter count to that of the sd card

how
Ok I use canon so I don’t know if it’s the same for you
However
If I take a sd card from my old canon with ..Eg a 30k shutter count and don’t format it before I put that card in my newer canon say Eg 3k shutter count
The newer canon will reset the shutter count to that of the sd card
many canon cameras have you tried that trick on? Would love to know if it actually worked

your jpg was saved with most the metadata removed, so I would trust the image number with a grain of salt.

I was using a brand new, freshly formatted in camera card, when I got these shutter counts.

Wow, that's bad luck. They should give you your money back. Clearly this isn't a refurbished camera. They have used it for some heavy systematic work and before it blows up they sold it.
Didn't know this kind of scam could happen. Will think twice before buying refurbished.

Wow, that's bad luck. They should give you your money back. Clearly this isn't a refurbished camera. They have used it for some heavy systematic work and before it blows up they sold it.
Didn't know this kind of scam could happen. Will think twice before buying refurbished.
When I called Nikon on it they said it was not a new camera, therefore it has a 90 day warranty. They further assured me that it was inspected, and meets all specifications of a D500 mechanically, as well as electronically, parts may have, or may not have been replaced to achieve that goal. It does indeed work splendidly well, everything functions as it should, and it takes great pictures. Time will tell, but I will continue to keep my fingers crossed.

Most reactions

Back