SmallFry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.macdonaldfamilysingers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
largeformatpic.jpg

Is the light in the eyes distracting?? I tried taking it out but it looks very wrong!

I did tweak and clone parts with my photo editing program, skin and hair problems! Any suggestions for next time? The expression is not very defined and that bothers me. Is the face to washed out?

Also, is it better cropped or un-cropped?

largeformat444.jpg

To the people in charge - I’m not sure I’ve got this is the right category! Please feel free to move it if need be.

The light in the eyes is called a catch light, and it would indeed be very distracting if it were not there, because it would imply that there was no light source.

If you want to keep your face from looking so washed out, try to have the light hit it more from the side. The shadows will help model it. It does look like the image is overexposed also.

Another thing that makes a big difference, and I'm sure people are getting sick of me saying so, but using a wide angle lens for a portrait gives you balloon head. Compare this image to the one in your avatar.

As far as a crop, I would go either vertical or square.

but using a wide angle lens for a portrait gives you balloon head.
...and a big nose. ;)

The crop looks better in the bottom one. In the top one, it looks like you cut off the top of your head by accident, ala tourist-with-a-rangerfinder-close-up.

The bottom one looks more intentional.

The looks like your just a bit happy. Like Mona Lisa. In your avatar, you look radiant, just beautiful. I haven't been around long enough for people to get tired of me saying things yet, (I hope!) but that is why I like candid portraits. Many times, they're not composed well, but when you capture an expression, it is an honest one. Whether it is with the subject's moth open, mid-word, or a beautiful smile, mid-laughter.

Sadly, you will not get this in a self portrait. (unless you are very good at suprising yourself, hehehe) You have to rely on the button stabbing people.

As for the face being washed out, that will happen with direct flash at close range, with dark hair and a dark shirt. You might try a brighter shirt to help out a bit. ...and maybe some natural light instead of flash. (flash is a last resort for me)

I agree with MarkC and JeremyZ. Use a telephoto (that flattens the subject and flatters you), don't use the flash on top of your camera and leave the catchlights in there, otherwise you look, well eh...dead.

Good luck and keep us updated!

pascal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back