Questions about buying first dslr

jhannah15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first post on The Photo Forum, so I hope I don't mess anything up... I love photography and am looking to get my first DSLR. I want to get the Canon Rebel T2i kit (which has an 18-55mm) along with a 50mm lens. Would this be a good first two lenses? Also, I live in on the Mid-Atlantic coast of the U.S. and humidity can get pretty bad in the summer. What precautions should I take in these conditions. Also, are there any accessories that I should get? I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, but I was having trouble finding another place to ask these questions...
Thanks a ton

Welcome to the forum.

The T2i would make a great first DSLR camera, and those two lenses would make a good starting point...unless, of course, you can afford better lenses. A good quality lens may last a lifetime and while these cheap ones might last, if you take care of them, it's likely that you will want to upgrade them before long (especially if you hang around on photography forums :er: )
If that's something you want to consider, then what is your budget for better lenses? If not, then don't worry about it for now, those two will do fine.

As for the humidity, you will want to avoid condensation. When you have a cold object and take it into a humid environment, it will collect condensation...so for example, if you are in an air conditioned space and you go out into the hot humid air, water will form on (and in) your gear.
To avoid that, let your gear warm up before you expose it to the air. You could use zip-lock bags, but usually a camera bag is good enough, but they can act like a cooler, keeping the gear cool for a long time.
I'd also suggest getting some silica gel packs for inside your bag, to absorb moisture.

As for accessories; a good camera bag, extra memory and batteries, a tripod etc.

Thanks so much. My budget really isn't very big. Are there any relatively inexpensive tripods that you would care to recommend? I was thinking about a Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home bag for my camera... should that house the body, two lenses and some accessories, or is it to small to use as my main bag?

You might be able to get by with a cheap tripod for a while. I used a cheap Velbon tripod for a few years before I got some good ones. Your gear isn't heavy, so that shouldn't be an issue. Although, if you buy a good tripod, it should last you for decades. I like Manfrotto brand.

Judging the size of a camera bag, is best done in person. I'd suggest going to a well stocked camera store and trying out several bags.

The T2i is a decent first DSLR. However, if your budget is not super-tight, I would encourage considering a Nikon D90 (which you could get for perhaps $150 more then the T2i with similar lenses, and is much, much better for still photography although not as good as the T2i for video) or a Canon 60D (pricier than the D90, but does good video too). Personally, I find the limited controls on the Rebels a bit of a hindrance if you want to experiment and play around more with the settings and features of a DSLR as you learn.

As for lenses, the 50mm is always a good place to start. The kit lens will get you started but will likely need upgrading at some point :) Still, it's a good start until you figure out what you'd want in the long run.

Agree with Big Mike on tripods. A decent Velbon or something similar will work for most of these lighter DSLR to get you started. The adjustments can sometimes be a bit cumbersome on these, but they should be stable enough.

As for bags, I'd encourage you to go to a store and try them out. If you don't plan to carry the camera in the bag much, a messenger-style bag (like the Crumpler you mentioned) may be fine. However, if you plan to carry the camera for a long time -- say several-hour hikes, or a day touring a city on foot -- that can get a bit tiring. They also have very little space for anything other than the camera. A backpack-style bag is generally less tiring and more versatile. Sling-style bags that go over one shoulder are another option. In the end, you may find you need more than one bag based on what you plan to do on a given day :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back