Questions about ND fitlers

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m looking at getting one or more ND filters, perhaps 10 and or 6. I have been looking at reviews allot of which are the once bought stay bought type. Anyway I was wondering are reviews that were carried out in previous somewhat redundant, in that that particular line could’ve been replaced with a newer filter with same name. does a review of a different diameter of filter that’s applicable to me apply to all filters of that brand, For example the performance of car tyres across sizes can be very different .

Am considering circular filters if that matters.

It's all the same glass cut to the size, iirc. so one review of any size should extend up/down.

I have a HOYA ProND, no complaints. I chose the largest size of my lenses, and use a step-down ring to fit onto any others.

Filter technology has changed very little in the past 20+ years. Ignore marketing phrases such as "Digital filter" and "Professional model"... they're meaningless marketing hype. Know what you want, buy into a line, and stick with that line. As @Braineack says, go for the largest one you need, and use step-down rings to cover your other glass.

Check out this YT for a comparison of 10 stop ND's.

It's all the same glass cut to the size, iirc. so one review of any size should extend up/down.

I have a HOYA ProND, no complaints. I chose the largest size of my lenses, and use a step-down ring to fit onto any others.

I was looking at that Hoya as seem best value for money

Good, better, best, crap. The traditional four categories. Lol. But really, Granger's video shows all four types.

I am using NISI square filters and I'm pretty happy with it. If your are looking for circular variable filter keep in mind that most models have a visible cross-effect at the most extreme values.

Last edited:
I am using NISI square filters and I'm pretty happy with it. If your are looking for circular filter keep in mind that most models have a visible cross-effect at the most extreme values.
I think you'll find that applies to variable ND filters (even if made for square filter systems) not fixed ND of any type.

I am using NISI square filters and I'm pretty happy with it. If your are looking for circular filter keep in mind that most models have a visible cross-effect at the most extreme values.
I think you'll find that applies to variable ND filters (even if made for square filter systems) not fixed ND of any type.
Yes, that's what I was talking about. Thanks! I've updated my post.

It's important to say that using step-up/down filters may cause strong vignetting on superwide lenses.

Step ring use may make it impossible to use your lens hoods...

For what it’s worth I use variable nd filters, it’s an interesting learning curve. But for what I wanted to do it works

I am using NISI square filters and I'm pretty happy with it. If your are looking for circular variable filter keep in mind that most models have a visible cross-effect at the most extreme values.

Good point. I ran into this but I knew it when I bought the filter a and decided to save a few bucks. No regrets. I rarely use it and when I do I stay one stop below its max. Image quality has been fine for me what I need. I'll have look and see what I have.

Here is an example. Composition is poor ( no tripod so I wedged the camera into some roots ) but the color is OK. 30 seconds f 10 with variable ND at about 5 stops. At 6 stops there would be an X.

20190525161806_IMG_2255_1-01_copy_1217x870.jpeg

Most reactions

Back