Questions about turning photography in full-time career

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cake is a lie
You can have tons of smarts and all that but are you willing to work your arse off for what really amounts to a little more than minimum wage?
I know a ton of photographers but I can count the number of full time photographers I know personally who make more than poverty wages with one hand.

The cake is a lie
You can have tons of smarts and all that but are you willing to work your arse off for what really amounts to a little more than minimum wage?
I know a ton of photographers but I can count the number of full time photographers I know personally who make more than poverty wages with one hand.

<--- full time professional photographer who makes more than poverty wages. :D

The cake is a lie

<--- full time professional photographer who makes more than poverty wages. :D

Take net income before taxes, divide by total number of hours worked (anything photography work related, marketing, editing, everything).
Is it more than $20/hr?

Take net income before taxes, divide by total number of hours worked (anything photography work related, marketing, editing, everything).
Is it more than $20/hr?

I generally don't disclose exactly how much I make because it's impolite to do so, but I'm the primary provider of the my household. I have 4 kids, 2 mortgages, life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, 4 college savings, etc. I live in Southern California which isn't the cheapest place to be. It's not for everyone, it's not easy, but I'm one of the blessed few who's able to do it. It will be different for each person, and it's a personal decision.

A lot of risks and sacrifices but very rewarding.

Is it more than $20/hr?

I generally don't disclose exactly how much I make because it's impolite to do so, but I'm the primary provider of the my household. I have 4 kids, 2 mortgages, life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, 4 college savings, etc. I live in Southern California which isn't the cheapest place to be. It's not for everyone, it's not easy, but I'm one of the blessed few who's able to do it.

Congrats then.
You’re literally one in a thousand pros.
I didn’t mean to actually ask for an amount rather than to prove how little the vast majority of photographers end up making.

From what I've seen of @Vtec44 work I'd say he is representative of what a good businessman in any field should be. He produces a somewhat standardized product of exceptional quality that is marketed to a narrowly defined market demographic. Thanks to his due diligence and experience he's been able to classify the needs, wants, and demands of that market segment. Lessons I practiced in my own business over the years with much success.

I see it around here so often. Typically a stay at home Mom gets a camera as a gift, and the next thing she's taking photos for money. She has no real experience or skill, so she charges $25-$75 for a setting fee, and furnishes a DVD with 30-50 images. She has no expenses really, so if she clears a $100 a week, she's happy. What she does though is makes it nearly impossible for any true professional to make a living if they try to compete in her market, because she's set the bar in the clients mind.

We had two professional studios in town at one time, super quality work, but the market for their kind of work just isn't here. So my advice is if you do it, make sure you've defined the market you plan on working in, who you're competitors are, and if you can make a living charging competitive rates. If not you redefine your market to find a segment that you can survive in, then you define how you can differentiate yourself from your competitors.

Congrats then.
You’re literally one in a thousand pros.
I didn’t mean to actually ask for an amount rather than to prove how little the vast majority of photographers end up making.

It's true that the majority of photographers are not full time because it's hard to make a living with photography. I think it's common in the creative field, ie actors, web designers, etc. Most people ask me what is my real job since being a full time photographer is not a common thing. It's a great conversation topic and a great way to meet women (if you're still single :D ) .

Last edited:
From what I've seen of @Vtec44 work I'd say he is representative of what a good businessman in any field should be. He produces a somewhat standardized product of exceptional quality that is marketed to a narrowly defined market demographic. Thanks to his due diligence and experience he's been able to classify the needs, wants, and demands of that market segment. Lessons I practiced in my own business over the years with much success.

I see it around here so often. Typically a stay at home Mom gets a camera as a gift, and the next thing she's taking photos for money. She has no real experience or skill, so she charges $25-$75 for a setting fee, and furnishes a DVD with 30-50 images. She has no expenses really, so if she clears a $100 a week, she's happy. What she does though is makes it nearly impossible for any true professional to make a living if they try to compete in her market, because she's set the bar in the clients mind.

We had two professional studios in town at one time, super quality work, but the market for their kind of work just isn't here. So my advice is if you do it, make sure you've defined the market you plan on working in, who you're competitors are, and if you can make a living charging competitive rates. If not you redefine your market to find a segment that you can survive in, then you define how you can differentiate yourself from your competitors.

Amen to this. The challenge is always differentiate yourself to stand out. Lucky for me I have a decent amount of Instagram following so that helps a bit.

The challenge is always differentiate yourself to stand out

I always found it harder to say no to business that didn't fit my marketing profile. It goes against the entrepreneurial spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back