Questions re: Street Photography safety/law/conventions

Pixle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i'm a brand new photographer. very new. still learning how to use my camera's most basic features new. I have a project in mind and hope to get started soon.
I basically want to take lots of photos of a very public place (public like used by public all the time, almost, 24/7 but technically under private ownership) in a major city. The place has tons of police officers, private security personnel, probably any kind of security protocol you can imagine. it's one of the most heavily monitored places you can imagine.
there are NOT however tons of people taking photos all the time - so someone taking a few photos here and there wouldnt cause attention but someone spending an hour taking photos of random things would be very unusual - this isnt like Times Square, New York or something - there isnt any tourist interest its just a public highly trafficked place.
i'm just going to take pictures of whatever is available to the public - there is going to be zero trespassing. I am positive though that i will be stopped by police, perhaps repeatedly. i hope to eventually establish a friendly relationship with some of them bc one of the things id love to get is portraits of the people who work around this area and maybe once i establish a relationship... maybe some of them would let me take their photos.. but that is second order concern - primarily i just don't want to piss anyone off so i can do this project which will last over a year. also the loation is near where i work so i *really* don't want to get on anyone's bad side.

my question to you-
anyone have experience with this? tips and/or tricks? like- should i have an instagram account or something to show them to seem more legit? (for what its worth because of the way i look, i have the privileged position of police generally not being suspicious of me ... )

should i wait a few weeks before starting this project so that when im there im perhaps less awkward looking? id love to learn how to use my camera while taking pictures there but if there's value in me just looking more confident/like more of a real photographer maybe ill wait a few weeks before starting.

appreciate any advice from folks who've done similar things!

If you have never been to take photographs, why do you assume that you will be harassed by the police. If it is private property that is open to the public, the police have no jurisdiction or interest unless you are causing an affray of some sort. I take photographs all over the place and I have never had the police show the slightest interest.

Private security is another matter. If the place has a no-photography policy, their security will ask you to stop - as they have every right to do - and you are obliged to stop even if you don't want to. Best to ask first and to stick to what the owners/managers tell you.

A stated above open to the public or not if it is privately own and then it's their rules no mater what you want. In this case it is easier to ask for permission than forgiveness. On private property the public rules for photography don't necessarily apply.

Also why so cloak and dagger about the location. More than likely if you let us in on the location someone may have a better answer. Trust me that no matter where it is, you're not the first person to think of or shoot it.

If you are planning to shoot in the United States, the right of free speech, (which protects the right to public photography), does not extend to private property and shooting on private property may vary from state to state and even jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Generally, a place like a shopping mall, which is unrestrictedly open to the public, must have signage posted declaring no photography. Ignoring said signage will run you afoul of the law. If there isn't any signage, then and generally, the worst that can happen is you will be asked to stop. If you're caught again then maybe you will be banned.

Personally, if I desired to shoot under the circumstances as you have described, I would schedule a meeting with the owner/owner's rep/management of the facility and get their written permission. A simple email from the owner/management would suffice. At the meeting I would emphasis that the project would not be for profit/commercial uses and that they can use your images for promotions, (if you are so inclined). Having a photo website of your work would most likely go a long way for the management to give acceptance of your project. Prior to shooting, I'd meet with the head of security and let her/him know who you are and why you are there.

Someone repeatedly hanging around on private property taking pictures will quickly attract the attention of security personnel and mothers. In this day and age, any man with a camera is immediately assumed to have low moral character and wrongful intentions.

I agree that it being private property the first course of action is to ask permission. Our local mall has a person in charge of publicity and events. I have spoken with her before going to photograph events held at the mall and a couple of times have gone down in the basement to shake hands with the security group with her along.

I have seen security stop people that were using a DSLR on private property, while another dozen were happily snapping away with their cell phone.

Outdoors, in public places, everything, and everyone, is fair game, and you can shoot all you want of them. In places you may think are public, but are not, you can not shoot without permission. On the street outside City Hall, you can shoot anything. In the theater, store, etc, across the street, you need permission. Malls are technically private, so guards, etc, can prevent you shooting inside them, but usually will not bother you, as long as you are not too intrusive. Ask permission from the manager, or owner, if you are in a place which may be private...like a mall, or church.

I basically want to take lots of photos of a very public place (public like used by public all the time, almost, 24/7 but technically under private ownership) in a major city. The place has tons of police officers, private security personnel, probably any kind of security protocol you can imagine. it's one of the most heavily monitored places you can imagine.
there are NOT however tons of people taking photos all the time

Hmm, lets see ----24/7, "technically" under private ownership, tons of police officers AND private security personnel, any kind of security protocol you can imagine, and no one taking photos-----sounds to me like a place where you could very likely end up getting a full body cavity search and few hours in an interrogation cell while the authorities try to determine why you're taking a pictures in the first place. Something you failed to also mention in your OP - Why this place? As others mentioned you might need to be a little more forthcoming on the place. I'm a firm believer in free speech, but no way I'd stand outside the fence of a high security military installation taking pictures.

I've got to go with everyone else - get permission if it's really private controlled. A friend did that for an Interstate highway construction site and was rewarded with a private tour to photo whatever she wanted.

If you have never been to take photographs, why do you assume that you will be harassed by the police................

Because of 'this day and age' and 'the way things are today' and 'since 9/11' and 'you might be a terrorist' and 'we got a call'. Subjects living in the US are brainwashed to 'see something, say something', so the popo gets called. And although 'ignorance of the law is no excuse', the responding officer(s) hope you're ignorant of the laws and end up running rough-shod over you.

..................In this day and age, any man with a camera is immediately assumed to have low moral character and wrongful intentions.

Just amble over to YouTube and do a search for 'first amendment audit".

Most reactions

Back