Quick!! Am I seeing this right?

Yep. It's posted on slickdeals.net and fatwallet.com too. Looks like a rebadged Tamron. Most reviews of the Tamron are good too.

I recommend to look for reviews, because looks to good to be true. Also I never heard of that brand. If you want a lens in that range of mm, the Nikkor 17-55mm AF-S f/2.8, is expensive but the quality is impresive. Here is a comparison pic between the Nikkor 18-55mm and the Nikkor 17-55mm

18-55-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm...

And after reading a couple of reviews.. I think I'll wait. Thanks :)

Last edited:
No. Never heard of it, or the website, I would say to only go with the Nikon or big three, Sigma Tamron Tokina, and even then, begrudgingly. Nikon makes the true, quality products.

the store looks legit - 8.something out of 10 at resellerratings
it's a smaller chain of stores in chicago and suburbs - 5-6 locations

I read that this lens is Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - should be good - I was looking at this one and at the end went with slightly better reviewed Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro

I would say save and go for the 16-85 or 17-55, both excellent lenses, surpassing that one.

And after reading a couple of reviews.. I think I'll wait.

Wise move, that is what I would have suggested myself.

In this range, I would have no qualms suggesting the Sigma 18-50 DC EX HSM Macro F/2.8. Last year in 3 independant magazine tests the Sigma beat the Tamron's best and more importantly, the Nikkor 17-55 which is 3 times the price... plus the Sigma throws in a free 3:1 macro.

In this range, I would have no qualms suggesting the Sigma 18-50 DC EX HSM Macro F/2.8.... plus the Sigma throws in a free 3:1 macro.
Wow! That's 300% of the maximum magnification available from any Micro-Nikkor lens! It's even 60% of the maximum magnification of Canon's closest macro lens, and it's only half the price! :lol: Did you, perhaps, mean 1:3, which isn't 1:1 macro?

The price for the lens in the deal is quite good if you don't have a D40 or D60 that is unable to drive its autofocus.

Did you, perhaps, mean 1:3, which isn't 1:1 macro?
Maybe I did. Typing away at 80wps, I do a few typos here and there.

The price for the lens in the deal is quite good if you don't have a D40 or D60 that is unable to drive its autofocus.
The price of any lens is not all that important if the results it gives you are mediocre.

I just went to some forums or groups that talk about this promaster lens. It seems to be a pretty decent lens and most of the people said it is a rebadged of the older version of Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 that do not have a build-in motor.

For less than $200 shipped, personally I think it is pretty good for those who want to spend less money. From the other forum, someone did went to a store and took sample photos with it and found the photos was very sharp upon reviewed them at home computer.

Maybe I did. Typing away at 80wps, I do a few typos here and there.

Must be a typo also, 80wps would be faster than any current qwerty typing record. :lol:

The average professional typists only type 50-70 wpm. :mrgreen:

Wise move, that is what I would have suggested myself.

In this range, I would have no qualms suggesting the Sigma 18-50 DC EX HSM Macro F/2.8. Last year in 3 independant magazine tests the Sigma beat the Tamron's best and more importantly, the Nikkor 17-55 which is 3 times the price... plus the Sigma throws in a free 3:1 macro.

link to source please.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back