Quick Headshot C&C

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today after a basketball charity event, this referee asked me if I would take a headshot of him to use for his ref organization, and I agreed. It was a one light setup, and I went for broad side lighting because he was a pretty skinny guy. For a 2 minute setup / shoot, how did I do? C&C for the future would be greatly appreciated.

Strobist info:

1/100
ISO400
f/4
Roughly 3 feet from gray wall
1/4 strobe with white umbrella, reflected, camera left

David Pham by theofficialtevo, on Flickr

hyeunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
great expression! Some of the hot spots on the face from the flash can be removed in post for a cleaner look :thumbup:

ChrisNL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Nice comfortable, natural expression. Great photo!

caseyrbrown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
As the others said, I like the expression and posing. I wish the light were a little softer. For my umbrella at least, shooting through it has yielded better results. In this shot, it just looks a little too harsh to me.

OP
tevo

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I think part of the reason the light looks so harsh is because he was sweaty after refereeing a few games.

As the others said, I like the expression and posing. I wish the light were a little softer. For my umbrella at least, shooting through it has yielded better results. In this shot, it just looks a little too harsh to me.

I generally don't shoot through umbrellas, but it is something I will start trying out. What about the result is different using them this way?

BrianpStudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brianpstudios.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
The light will be softer, you will lose some stops but softer lighting. Just compensate accordingly. A bounce on the opposite side helps gives a more natural looks instead of a high key lighted image. The sweat is the main thing for the shine. But gives character to the image I think.

OP
tevo

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The light will be softer, you will lose some stops but softer lighting. Just compensate accordingly. A bounce on the opposite side helps gives a more natural looks instead of a high key lighted image. The sweat is the main thing for the shine. But gives character to the image I think.

I will try that in the future. I don't mind the highlights terribly, they shape his face a bit more. It also instills a 'sweat on the brow' type feeling into me which makes me think he is a hard worker. I agree that it adds character, but I wouldn't opt for that lighting in most other cases.

Most reactions

New Topics