What's new

Self Portrait with darker background

DaPOPO

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
394
Reaction score
209
Location
Katy Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been watching some product photography videos on YouTube and noticed the photographer always changes the camera settings so the camera is showing black before he starts turning on his lighting. This way none of the natural light is effecting the photograph.

I tried the same thing last week and this is the outcome.

All three are using my Nikon D7100 at ISO 200, 1/250, F8 with Nikon 50mm 1.8d.

I used a gray cloth backdrop that was approximately 4, maybe 5 feet back.

1) Rectangular soft-box with a grid camera right at approximately 45 degrees.

untitled-1611-Edit.webp


2) Same soft-box, same location camera right with a strip soft-box and grid 90 degrees camera left. The strip soft-box is pulled forward so the back of it is a little behind my head.

untitled-1632-Edit.webp


3) Same strip soft-box 90 degrees camera left, same location. I darkened up the background a little bit on this one so make it almost but not completely black.

untitled-1635-Edit.webp


C&C welcome, always learning. Thanks guys.
 
i like the last. it's also the best exposure on your face, the others seem a little dim.
 
i like the last. it's also the best exposure on your face, the others seem a little dim.
Thanks, you know I was thinking the last one is a little overexposed due to the highlights shining on my head more than the others.. Interesting..
 
I like all three, however your face is angled just a little more in the second and third, putting the edge of your face that shows inside your glasses (next to your right eye) on a different plane than the portion outside of your glasses. Don't know if that makes a difference to you. Nice lighting effects, though.
 
I like the dramatic look of the lighting in the first shot, plus the glasses' refraction is thrown into shadow, making the first, IMO, the best of the three.
 
Glasses, the bane of photographers everywhere. You're either fighting reflections or refraction. As the poster above mentioned #2 & #3 shows how annoying refraction can be.

#1 is my preference. As Derrel said the dramatic look of it and the convient shadow over the eye make it the better choice.
 
Glasses, the bane of photographers everywhere. You're either fighting reflections or refraction. As the poster above mentioned #2 & #3 shows how annoying refraction can be.

#1 is my preference. As Derrel said the dramatic look of it and the convenient shadow over the eye make it the better choice.

Four or five very good points!
 
Just an after thought on the glasses. Nothing short of using empty frames is going to keep from having clean up in post, but one thing you might try is turning the head straight on to the camera. Here's an extreme crop of a subject with glasses that hasn't been final processed.
passport07012018_602.webp
Raising your lights and moving them closer to the camera center line puts more light into the eye socket, but the angle of incidence is such that any reflection is still away from the lens. You can see from comparing the skin around the glasses to that closer to the eye, that the glasses act like a magnifying glass but the refraction is minimal. Plus, shooting straight on makes it easier to smooth the skin behind the glasses. Wait till you try shooting someone with Photochromic lenses, you'll really pull your hair out!
 
I like the dramatic look of the lighting in the first shot, plus the glasses' refraction is thrown into shadow, making the first, IMO, the best of the three.

I like the second with both light boxes the best, but the refraction is annoying and I am sure fixable in post, but I am not the proficient to fix it. Something to explore in the future...
 
highlights gonna highlight...
I'm not sure you really can't get rid of them completely, except if I processed in post more than what I would want to do. Probably not worth the time, I think it would take from the natural look of it...
 
Just an after thought on the glasses. Nothing short of using empty frames is going to keep from having clean up in post, but one thing you might try is turning the head straight on to the camera. Here's an extreme crop of a subject with glasses that hasn't been final processed.
View attachment 171981 Raising your lights and moving them closer to the camera center line puts more light into the eye socket, but the angle of incidence is such that any reflection is still away from the lens. You can see from comparing the skin around the glasses to that closer to the eye, that the glasses act like a magnifying glass but the refraction is minimal. Plus, shooting straight on makes it easier to smooth the skin behind the glasses. Wait till you try shooting someone with Photochromic lenses, you'll really pull your hair out!

Thanks, I will try that with my Foster Parents next week when I visit.
 
highlights gonna highlight...
I'm not sure you really can't get rid of them completely, except if I processed in post more than what I would want to do. Probably not worth the time, I think it would take from the natural look of it...

why would you want to? They are natural and give dimension -- we expect to see speculator highlights from a single light source; they are litterally the reflection from the light source.

The first two shots, imho, look intentionally underexposed in post as an effort to reduce the highlights. It makes your skin look dull -- highlights should open up the true tone of your skin, artificially lowering them changes this natural effect.

Strobist: Lighting 102: Controlling Specular Highlights

Strobist: Lighting 102: Unit 2.2 - Specular Highlight Control
 
I like the second. There seems to be a lot of depth to it. All three are fantastic and make me want to learn portrait lighting. Thanks for sharing!
 
why would you want to? They are natural and give dimension -- we expect to see speculator highlights from a single light source; they are litterally the reflection from the light source.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly here. If you're saying specular blown highlights are desired, then I have to disagree. Likewise if you're saying it's impossible to not blow the highlights with a single light then I'd also disagree. The principals of managing the light on the subject are the same regardless of the number of lights you use. You add reflector fill or flags to block, compressing the tonal range between the shadows and highlights. Adding a modifier, and moving your light closer will both increase the size of the light source relative to the subject, decreasing the intensity of the light per sq.in. on the subject, softening and spreading your highlights over a larger area. Then based on the reflectivity of the skin (light, dark, oily, etc), you adjust your exposure accordingly. Blown specular highlights are not natural or unavoidable.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom